Switcher Q: what's with these "drives" that appear on the desktop for certain prgrms?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anthonymoody, Jan 27, 2005.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    For example, I downloaded Macintosh Explorer (b/c the Finder's file management and navigation is really poor IMO) and every once in a while a "drive" appears on the desktop. I can "eject" it and the program still runs, but it comes back sometimes. Did I do something wrong in the installation?
    Maybe a preference issue?

Thanks in advance,
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    These "drives" are probably disk images (are the icons for them white drives?). A disk image is a file that contains a byte-for-byte filesystem. They are often used to distribute software. If you dowbload some software then drag the application from the disk image to somwhere on your hard drive (Applications folder makes sense). Then unmount the image. You can then delete the .dmg file that contains the disk image.
  3. kdawg macrumors regular

Dec 14, 2004
    open up the drive and drag the app into the applications folder. From there you can eject/delete the drive.
  4. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2003
    and give Finder a chance....much better than Windows Explorer after you get used to it.
  5. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    what does macintosh explorer do that finder doesnt? oh, it must hide files 10 folders deep so you can play hide and seek with your files. other than that, with all the customizations with finder you can get it to do everything a windows explorer does.
  6. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    Thanks for the info on the drive images.

Re: the shortcomings of the Finder, specifically, what I want is the ability to see all the information about a file that you see in the second of the three View choices (where icons is first, list is second, and columns is third) within the third View choice.

Specifically, in addition to file name, the list View shows you:
    -file size
    -file type
    -modified date

...AND lets you sort by that info. Often I hunt for the file I want based on this information (I have many files with similar names and therefore modified date is of particular use to me).

Anyway, I've been navigating in the List View but prefer the Columns View b/c I like to see the file path laid out in front of me while I'm navigating.

If you can explain how to get all the info in the Column View, as well as the ability to sort by that info, I'd be much obliged.

7. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    I would hardly call those minor things "really poor"
  8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    You don't need the filepath. If you have a good number of aliases (shortcuts) then you don't have to worry about the filepath. And if you modify something that relies on a filepath, then it auto updates. Kewl, eh?
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Finder is poor. Many people know this.

It was poor in Jaguar, and Apple acknowledged this, so they "fixed" it when they released Panther, as SJ said during the Keynote where Panther was introduced. But lets face it, it isn't really pleasant to use.

I never heard of Macintosh Explorer, but I might give it a shot.
  10. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion but please trust me - when you need to see and manipulate your files in a certain manner and cannot, it is extremely frustrating and makes the use of the program in question - as well as my opinion of it - poor.

I know the way file paths work. Even Windows is now 'smart' enough to dynamically reroute in programs etc if the path changes. Adding aliases does not solve my problem. It's not a question of *accessing* a given folder at a given time, it's a question of visually *seeing* the path. It's an important part of the way my information needs to be sorted and categorized (specific to my work). Please do not presume to tell me to do my work in a different manner :)

The more I poke around Macintosh Explorer the more I like it except for one thing - it does not actually 'replace' the Finder. So within a program for instance if you go to open a file or something, you see the Finder, not Macintosh Explorer. If they had a way to change this then for me it'd be a great solution.

Thanks for all your thoughts on this.