Switcher question: Hard drive cleanup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZenNerd, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ZenNerd macrumors member

I wasn't sure what to look for in the search so I figured I'd just ask since you seem like a friendly group of people. I have a new 12" powerbook (my first Apple) and I was curious is there a program either built into OSX or available (or I guess I should ask if it's even needed) that serves the same purpose as disk cleanup or Cleansweep on a winPC? I ask because I like to keep my drive clean of any unnecessary files as much as is reasonable. thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Cleanup on Mac OS X is so much easier than Windows that doing it manually is feasible. I recommend one or both of these utilities from the makers of StuffIt compression.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I recommend and use Yasu for that purpose. I've never tried OnyX before - I must admit that Yasu is extremely simple to use.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I've never liked Spring Cleaning. Too many stories of it doing damage.

wrld; the OSX system does much of its own maintenance overnight if you leave your machine on, or you can use OnyX, Cocktail or another shareware program to control the process. One utility I like is CacheOut X for cleaning up caches &c. DeBabelizer is a one-time use program for cleaning out 600 - 900 Mb of foreign language resources from the standard OSX install. Carbon Copy Cloner is a good utility to have too, or SuperDuper. Back up your User folder with it.
    You can find these and many more at www.versiontracker.com

And welcome to Mac -- no Windows Registry to worry about :D

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In case you didn't notice, my Mac runs Folding@Home, so I leave it on 24/7 and the maintenance gets done automatically. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for backing up my Mac - it, too, runs automatically at 12:00 AM every day (while I'm asleep).