Switcher Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by illegal amigo, Jul 29, 2005.

1. illegal amigo macrumors member

Jul 25, 2005
    My iBook is still in China right now (unfortunately) but I got the stock 14" iBook and am completely new to the whole OS X. I was wondering if anyone had any good user's guide links to OSX online or tips for switchers. I read something about a UNIX command line repair and I'm thorougly confused. I just want to be able to learn the OS X as compeletly as I know Windows XP. I know "Google is my friend" ;) but I was wondering if anyone had any favorite sites or special tricks.

2. Dr. Vu macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2005
    Why did you read UNIX commands??
    I've used Mac OS X without cammands... Simple enough as is.
    I'm 14 and If I can do it, you can. It's easy to get used to.
  3. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I second the recommendation for The Missing Manual books. I switched last year, and found The Missing Manual for Panther very helpful. It's the only computer book I've ever really found useful. The Tiger edition is available, I've seen it at Barnes and Noble.
  5. rkristich macrumors member

Jul 27, 2005
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    I agree with the previous posters in recommending The Missing Manual. They're really great books packed full of information.

I actually prefer to buy books online from Barnes and Noble. They have comprable prices to Amazon, and the free shipping is much faster. Anyways Barnes and Noble has The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition (link) and Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual Tiger Edition (link). The one for switchers seems like it would be a good choice for you. The regular one is available now, and the one for switchers will be available on August 15.

Enjoy your iBook when it arrives!
  6. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2004
    One of the things that makes MacOS X so incredibly powerful is that you _can_ use the full power of UNIX but you don't _have_ to. You can use MacOS X entirely through the graphical interface and never even know there's a UNIX command line. Or you can learn aspects of both and do that much more with your computer. Apple has always been highly praised for their advanced and user-friendly GUIs. OSX is no exception. It's really quite incredible.
  7. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2005
    I just got my Ibook today, the 12' model and this thread helped me a lot get to know OSx a bit and gave me a good list of programs to look at. Check it out
    Mac Starter Thread