Switcher seriously considering switching BACK ...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by notdenizen, Mar 23, 2005.

1. notdenizen macrumors newbie

I just spent a little under $2000 getting myself set up with a mac, and I have one little issue thats making using it a nightmare.

The mouse (a logitech dual optical) feels AWFUL. Its an acceleration setting I think, low tracking speed (even with it set to max in preferences) and high acceleration. It works flawlessly in both linux and windows. Google has found a few people with similiar issues, but a lot less than I'd expect, and no solutions.

It seems strange that an OS that has been so highly praised as configurable and intuitive has such a horrible default setting, and no apparent way to change it ?

In order to make this mac useable, I need to disable mouse acceleration. Does anyone know a way to do this? I've spent about 2 hours in OSX so far, and I'm already starting to loathe it due to my constant battle with the mouse.

I realise this has been a very negative post, but I'm not trolling. Just very, very dissapointed.

2. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Replace your mouse. Your priorities are screwed up.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I agree... try installing the provided Logitech software and changing the settings. :rolleyes:

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Yeah, that is not your mac's fault, it is the mouse.

6. notdenizen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats a confusing response. My mouse works fine in windows and linux so I was under the impression that it was a software issue. Obviously if replacing the mouse will remove the problem then I'd not even hesitate, but what makes you think its a hardware issue ?

I'll have to look into USB overdrive, and any software logitech provides. Thank you.

7. panphage macrumors 6502

Try the logitech drivers. You'll need them to program all your buttons anyway, and the accelleration settings are usually done by the mouse maker. My kensington and MS mice both had accelleration in the vendor-specific mouse prefs after I installed the software.

8. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I have heard many things about Logitech mice not playing nice with the mac, so I figure it is the mouse.

9. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

I think he is suggesting that you get a different model/type/brand of mouse altogether.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would give another mouse a try if you could, also the third-party software will definately have settings in them that should help alleviate the problem

good luck and sorry to hear about your troubles!

11. notdenizen thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, I was unaware of that. If I'm unable to fix this with 3rd party software I'll try a new mouse. Is there a known-good brand or model that you can recommend ?

And thanks for the quick replies all, not to mention the suprising lack of flames.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Kennsington is a great brand, and surprisingly any non BT microsoft mouse usually works pretty well too

i personally dont mind the one button apple mice which i think have the best feel to them, but to each their own

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This is much deeper than just what mouse. This goes down to how each OS handles pointer acceleration in relation to mouse speed. Mac OS has (for as long as I can think back) moved the pointer slower when you move the mouse slowly, and quicker when you zip it across the pad. Windows (I think) uses a more linear acceleration curve. It's easier to get used to Windows if you've been using Mac OS for a while than vice versa. Luckily for you (and whoever else), there's software to change it if you just can't get used to it. I've heard USB Overdrive can change it, I know Kensington's drivers can, and I would assume Logitech's can as well. I have to say though, if pointer acceleration is enough to make you consider switching back... ;)

14. notdenizen thread starter macrumors newbie

Frankly, yes, it is. I'm switching from linux, not windows, so the usual "spyware/virus/adware" arguement doesnt apply. My x86 PC is relatively new, fully functional, and not in any way broken.. so perhaps I have higher expectations than most of the people switching from windows. I was incredibly impressed with expose when I played with it, but so far that and iTunes are the only reasons I've got for wanting to keep this thing around. Presumably there will be others once I have a little more experience with the OS, but I'm certainly not going to find any if I'm spending all my time wrestling with the cursor :)

15. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I have a Logitech MX1000 and it works great :)

allison.

16. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

Being a user of logitech mice, I can say that I truly *hate* the logitech mac drivers and control panel. The middle click (which works correctly *before* the drivers) becomes something else with no way (that I can see) to set it to middle click. I can set the middle button to *anything* but middle click!! go figure.

I removed that and installed usb overdrive and haven't looked back.

Having said that, I'm less than impressed with logitech mice recently.

As for the one button apple pro mouse, I started using that one day since it was handy... and really, it does quite well, and I don't miss the extra buttons for normal computing. It has a good feel overall.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I use the Microsoft 5-button IntelliEye optical mouse. I love it, considering I have a gag-reflex to anything Microsoft, but their mice are great. There Intellimouse software is also very good and integrates nicely into OSX. Check them out.

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Heh. I read the title of this thread and thought I would come by to look at the cinders and ash... you got off lightly, my friend :D

What I use? The plain, ordinary Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB, sold at shops nationwide for $24. I wouldn't be caught dead running a Mac without a scroll wheel and a right button (hear that, Steve?). Reliable, not flashy, no problems at all with acceleration; I use a KVM and switch between a PC and Mac 30 times or more a day, I don't see any difference in mouse response. My only b!#&# about the mouse ironically is in Windows, I can't find the software setting to disable the side (thumb) button; I sometimes grab for the mouse and hit that button, and it executes a Back or Forward or something on the Web browser and deletes whatever I was typing (like a MacRumors posting for example).

Oops... did I just admit to sometimes reading MacRumors with a PC?? Damn.

I used a Logitech wireless for a while, but had more trouble with it disappearing from the planet when switching between machines, so I ditched that. I had installed the latest Logitech control software when I installed the mouse, so I never had acceleration problems with it.

I used a Contour Designs ergonomic mouse when I was having wrist problems, and that helped. Quitting several games probably helped more though.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

19. noel4r macrumors 6502a

I had problems w/ my Logitech mouse too. It was the reason my iBook started shutting down on its own. The tracking speed and scrolling speed was horrible too. So I have a 60 dollar mouse in the drawer.

20. 65505201 macrumors newbie

I'm using a Logitech MX510. I'm not experiencing any problems.

Well....actually, I haven't confirmed this yet, but the custom actions for the buttons seem to reset to default if I use a different USB port.

21. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I have a similar problem. I don't like how the power button on my G5 feels when I press it. On my wintel machine the button makes a more audible clunk sound when I press it, and it feels really plasticy. But the G5 button is smooth and firm to press. Cant get used to this. I simply must switch back. :rolleyes:

Just a friendly jab. The mouse movement is very different than what your used to. The only thing I can think of is to change the mouse setting under the system preferences. You should be able to achieve a reasonable approximation of what your used to. If not, and its that big of a deal to you, get rid of the machine. :(

22. john_satc macrumors 6502

i use a cordless trackball wheel from logitech which is so easy to use and saves space as you dont have to move the mouse itself. i dont see any problem with their mice :)

23. risc macrumors 68030

risc

MX510 here works perfectly using the Logitech software.

24. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Buy a Kesington Mouse... It works great with mac...

25. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

If this is your issue I'd say sell me the Mac and move on to a system that can handle your Logitech mouse the way you want it to. If you like Linux then why are you switching? I switched just recently from Windows and noticed the lag in mouse response right away. It was very frustrating but was fixed by adjusting the mouse settings. If your not willing spend $20 on a mouse that is more compatible with the $2,000 system you just purchased, then I'm confused. Do you not see the problem here? Does this really make any sense to you? If this is your only issue and few others are experiencing it, I'd recommend switching back. Then again, you may have switched for a reason??? Are you just too picky and insatiable? Will any product really suit all of your needs? Who knows?

Good luck with your decision in the end. If none of the honest, good faith suggestions listed above have satisfied you, I'd just move on. The platform is great but it is certainly not for everyone. You have really high standards and need to find something that will suit your needs a little more closely. It sounds like you love the mouse and are unwilling to let it go so I'm not sure there is much more we can say.