Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi,

I'm curious as to preferences and why between e-mail programs, calendar programs, etc between the one that comes with OSX vs .mac and entourage.

Thanks,

Frank

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
When I used a PC I had Office XP and used Outlook for all that stuff. I bought Office when I bought my Mac, but I haven't even touched Entourage. All the apps that come with OS X are very powerful and work well together. With .Mac they get lots better.

I use iCal, Address Book, and Mail.app to handle what I used to do in Outlook. When I change a calander or contact on my laptop I use iSync to put it on my Power Mac and my cell phone. Simple.

The Mail app, by the way, is really nice. The best thing about it is the spam filter that is always learning your preferences. I get about a hundred spam messages a day and the filter will catch all but usually 3-4 of them. On the other hand, it's only junked 1 message that I actually wanted to read.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Apple's software does basically everything that Entourage, etc do, but it all ties in together much better. For instance, I use Mail for all my personal email (for multiple accounts), which gets it's information from Address Book, and i use iCal for all of my personal/work/social activities, which can interact with Addressbook (for invitations, etc), and at the end of the day, all of my contacts and schedule info are downloaded to my iPod and soon-to-be cellphone... And the best part is, I don't have to think about any of it...

I love it, and i don't even have .mac. But the tie-ins just keep getting better from there... Basically what i'm saying is whether or not you buy .mac, switch to Apple's software... It's a treat to use.

pnw

buseman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2002
Hmm i tried to switch from Entourage to Mail, but when I sent attachments, it either produced two files (one resource fork I believe) or empty word documents. But the interface is nice and the Panther version looks very good.

Does anyone know if the attacment bugs are fixed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.