Switcher user have issues need advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cpnotebook80, Feb 5, 2007.

1. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

1)
    Does having more mp3s/video files slow system?
    Just wanted to add that , i have around 5gb of mp3 transfered to my brand new mac along with some software i installed etc like aperture office etc.
    I did notice a slight delay in boot time opening programs when restarting the system etc as opposed to when i got my iMac brand new.

Does it all depend on the ram?(i have 1gb) for things to run faster.(should i get more ram in any case)
    Or does it depend on all the files that are cramed into into the harddrive.

What if my mp3 are stored on an external hardddrive would that make a difference in speed of the mac booting up?

I have an ONYX program that does some harddrive permission etc etc and it seems to help a bit in speeding up i guess.

I know most mac programs are memory hungry and one can see it in the dashboard widgets.

2)
    I hear this squeaking noise when everything is quite and im just browising.Nothing alarming but just worried that it might end up being a faulty drive or fan later.Anyone heard it?

3)
    Say when i go to the adress bar and i want to go to the begining of the address, in windows i used to hit home key and the cursor would take me there,or in a paragraph i hit the home key and go the begining of the sentence. any similar key on mac?

4)
    Whats the power usage of an imac c2d 20" if left on or rather in sleep mode for most of the day compared to a pc?(i know its very less but numbers would be good!)

THANKS!

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1. shouldn't be, video/audio files shouldn't impact ur booting time
    3. its a combo keys, apple+left arrow is the "home key" under windows,

3. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

THAnks!

I was reading about diskwarrior being a good optimization tool for the mac..is that good?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i have no idea :D

5. gnasher729 macrumors Pentium

gnasher729

I have never heard of any "optimization" tools for the Mac that would have done anything useful except giving the user a warm fuzzy feeling and making the producer richer.

6. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, does more ram really help with boot time and application speed..

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-cpnotebook80

Ok, I’ll do my best…

Does having more mp3s/video files slow system?
    Files shouldn’t affect speed at all. Applications – especially ones that need deeper system interactions like some utilities, can, but once the system has been restarted a few times, and have had a few nights of systm maintenance, you should be back to as-fast-as-possible.

Aperture and Office are not those apps that’ll affect system settings.

I did notice a slight delay in boot time opening programs when restarting the system etc as opposed to when i got my imac brand new. Does it all depend on the ram?(i have 1gb) for things to run faster.(should i get more ram in any case)
    Do you mean launch time? If so, how many processes are you running? 1gb RAM is a decent amount, but always, the more the better – geometrically better.

As for startup – or boot times, after an application – especially software update from Apple that requires a Restart, expect your first boot after that install to take a while as your machine needs to run a lot of housekeeping on the OS.

Or does it depend on all the files that are cramed into into the harddrive.
    Well, you should have no less than 10% of your primary drive free of stuff for swap files, and, if necessary, virtual RAM. If you are launching enough processes to max out your 1gb RAM, you’ are oing there, and you will notice a slowdown too.

What if my mp3 are stored on an external hardddrive would that make a difference in speed of the mac booting up?
    No.

I have an ONYX program that does some harddrive permission etc etc and it seems to help a bit in speeding up i guess.
    Can’t help you here :D

I know most mac programs are memory hungry and one can see it in the dashboard widgets.
    Eff, err. Well, everything can be hungry. Check “Activity Monitor” in your utilities so you can manage your loads. Dashboard widgets consume resource independently, and only when you have Dashboard up.

2)
    I hear this squeaking noise when everything is quite and im just browising.Nothing alarming but just worried that it might end up being a faulty drive or fan later.Anyone heard it?

Sure it isn’t you mouse?

Thanks! I’ll be here all week!

But seriously folks, does it sound electronic? Try to locate its source on the box, and write back – you shouldn’t be hearing ‘squeaking’.

3)
    Say when i go to the adress bar and i want to go to the begining of the address, in windows i used to hit home key and the cursor would take me there,or in a paragraph i hit the home key and go the begining of the sentence. any similar key on mac?

Yes, above the arrow keys?

4)
    Whats the power usage of an imac c2d 20" if left on or rather in sleep mode for most of the day compared to a pc?(i know its very less but numbers would be good!)
    Maximum continuous power: 180W (17- and 20-inch models); 220W (24-inch model) Apple.com
    Sleeping uses WAY less power – fraction of a fraction.

Hope this helped!

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

when the computer is alseep it is probably only using enough power to power the LED on the front.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-cantthinkofone

Plus the RAM and some of the switches. It's about a watt.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No wonder you have more posts than me...:rolleyes:

11. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

YEH! thank you

Thanks all for taking time to respond.
    Really helped.

:p