Switcher - Wondering About Optical Out

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mcmike100, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mcmike100 macrumors member

Hello,

I'm a Windows user and will be buying a new Powerbook soon (my first Mac!).

My question is about optical out. On my current PC I use S/PDIF to connect to my home theater receiver. Thus, the optical out on the 17" appeals to me. However, I feel that's too big and want the 15".

If I get the 15" how will the audio quality compare to my current setup? Will I still be able to connect to my receiver and get 5.1?

Thanks

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't think so, but there are cheap-ish USB adapters that will allow you to do that. Maybe there are PC cards as well.

3. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

You could probablly get a PCMCIA 5.1 sound card for the powerbook.

4. mcmike100 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I've been looking around and the Audigy 2 ZS looks really nice, but it says Windows is a requirement :( Would something like this have a Mac driver available or anything?

As I'm new to the Mac I don't know how this stuff works.

Thanks

5. TypeR389 macrumors member

I just bought a mini myself and plugged my soundblaster USB MP3 into it and it just worked, no drivers needed. That card also has Windows as a requirement. I love plugging devices into my mac and them just working...so nice coming from a the windows world...

Note though, I have not tried the SPDIF on the box yet, though the RCA in/out works fine...