switchers * -1

Discussion in 'Community' started by CelticBhoy, Mar 6, 2004.

1. CelticBhoy macrumors member

Looking at all the switcher posts over the past months has got me thinking about how many people have actually switched ........ from mac to pc! I'm just curious, and I like to turn things on their heads, so does anyone know some switcher stories that you'll never ever read on Apple's website ? Are there any (switchers * -1) here who after making the 'switch' just can't let go ? Let's here these stories.

PS Don't take this too seriously all u mac diehards. Chill out & relax, it's not an apple v pc thread I'm starting, I'm just exploring the other side of switching.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've heard tell of a few "reverse switchers", but not sure if there are too many around here...

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I asked this question here a while back, but never got a response, or at least not anything being or pointing to a testimonial.

Yeah, there are a few gamer types that use Windows over Mac for that reason, but I have never once ever heard of anyone after having used Mac for years sit down at a Windows machine and say, "Wow, now THIS is how a computer SHOULD be!" And unless someone can prove me wrong, I'd say that this is undeniable proof that the Mac OS is better than the Windows OS.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

personally i know 3 familys which switch to pc and all of them when the pentium 3 was released and none of them considered switching back
    on the other side i know 0 people switching _to_ mac

BTW: i tried to check the local mac retailer...but ...doh! ..closed saturday .. :(

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

The missionary who converted me to the true and everlasting gospel of the Mac suddenly had a fall from grace and left the fold only a month later (this was in 2002). He suddenly gave up trying to justify the Mac's exorbitant prices for everything, concluding that he could basically do it all on Windows for a fraction of the price. And that may be true, but I'm sure I glad I talked to him a month earlier because now that I have seen the light I will never leave the fold.

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I know someone who had used Mac's all his life (his family had) but wasn't that good with computers. He wanted to see what Windows like so madly just bought a Windows laptop with half an hour of battery life.

8. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

The Dark Side can be tempting with their cheap prices and loads of software, but in the end you will pay with your soul :)

I still use Windows, but not because I don't want to switch it is just that I don't have the $$$

9. Opteron macrumors 6502

Well I had a LC475, had heaps of fun and before that a mac plus, but then the old folks bought a crap compaq, after that discrase and my love of gaming I built my own PC, now on take 2. Couldn't be happier, no crashes, no hangs, no bugs, just a graphics card that over heats on 35+ degree C days:(.

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well tomorrow is Tuesday, so new cheaper macs on the way ;)

11. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I've always considered a cheaper alternative to high priced foodstuffs is to eat meals constituted of berries, leaves and small woodland grubs, aid digestion with a gut full of gravel, and then rince it all down with half a pint of roadside puddle.

But I choose not to, for I have standards.

There is always a reason why things are cheap. And that's because theyare cheap.

I ponly know of one way switchers and Windows resistors, none the other way. But unless Mac do something about gaming I'm pretty sure that record will change.

12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I have to totally agree. For Apple to have a large gain in new users it must do something about gaming on the Mac. There are a lot of good games that are not on the Mac and probably never will.

Even when I do switch, I will still probably have a Windows machine for gaming.

[it would be nice if game developer could write one game that can work on both platforms...I wonder if it would ever be possible to emulate games on a Mac without VirtualPC]

13. Opteron macrumors 6502

Why emulate, doesn't the Mac OS support OpenGL, why not write games for the mac using this code? Better wet why not develop their own inhouse 3D gaming code?

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

There are already companies that port windows games to macs, why doesn't apple start doing this?

They would have the money to do it quicker and better than the smaller companies. And there would be tons of benifits for apple.

scem0

15. bryanc macrumors 6502

I've been asking around about this...can't find any

I know literally dozens of people who've switched from PCs to Macs since OS X, and exactly zero that have switched the other way. Of course, back in the bad old days, I switched from an Apple ][ to a PC XT (4.77MHz, 640 kB RAM and a...wait for it...*hard* disk).

I've noticed (and talked) with many many scientists, who, like myself, were dabbling with linux but found it generally more hassle than it was worth, and were therefore still stuck in windows purgatory when OS X came out. OS X was everything I wanted Linux to be (a stable, standards-compliant, Unix-based OS, with good development tools, that is able to run both the commercial software I need and the special-purpose programs written for scientists, and is beautiful to boot!). I wish the hardware were a little less pricey, but I'm willing to pay for quality.

My home computer is an aging PC running Win2k, but it will be replaced with a G5 as soon as I can afford/justify it.

Cheers

16. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

im definately not a switcher-1 but i guess i could be considered a switcher when i was a kid i had a packard bell for a couple of hours until we returned and got that trusty performa :D

17. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

good news ut2k4 demo lnux windows and mac in the words of special ed YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i love games YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
    ;)

18. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Even though the Mac does support OpenGL, most games are now written in DirectX9 only.

Some older games used to be able to run either as DirectX or OpenGL but the newer games seems to be exclusively DirectX.

I would assume that the Mac gaming community isn't big enough to justify the expense of making a Mac version of a game. Even if it is I think that lots of the game devleopers are just anti-Mac.

19. Opteron macrumors 6502

I understood that many games were written in OpenGL, eg Quake, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, just to name a few.

20. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

But Quake is quite old...more than 4 years old...

The game I like to play most is Battlefield 1942 with the DesertCombat mod, and I can say for a fact that it is DirectX Only!

Of course some people apparently have been able to play it in Linux with WineX
    [​IMG]

21. Opteron macrumors 6502

I was thinking more along the lines of Quake 3 Arena