Switchers and Anti-Switchers

Discussion in 'Community' started by stoid, Feb 7, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that there is one thing that does give Mac uses bragging rights over Windows users, if only subtly.

So often we hear stories from switchers. People who have been using Windows start using Mac OS X, and wonder why they have been wasting their lives. It's as if for the first time they can see clearly into the world of computer usage.

I have not heard one story of anyone that always used Macs picking up a Windows computer, using XP for 5 minutes and saying, "WOW! What an awesome computing experience!! What have I been doing all my life!"

I think that regardless of how much you can defend the Windows operating system against those who claim that Mac OS X is superior, this stands out as undeniable proof that the Macintosh OS is better than Windows. Period.

(Let's keep this civil guys! No flames!)

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It works both ways. We DON'T hear the stories about the people who switch from Macs to PCs because divided between the major PC manufacturers, they account for a very small percentage of sales (and would even if a large % of Mac users switched). A lot of analysts figure that Apple gains about as much ground as it loses...

It's disconcerting, I know, but it seems to be the truth. For some people, hardcore gamers and those who need serious power (especially serious power in laptops), I think it makes sense as it stands right now to have a PC. I hope that Apple releases more powerful laptops soon, because it is a few years behind in laptop power. The desktops just need to stay competitive, and some key research, CAD, and gaming applications need to be ported well.

For example, the lab I'm working in right now uses all Macs, except for one computer, because this great piece of electrophysiology recording and statistical analysis software is PC only. The people in the lab are die-hard Mac fans and use iPods to back-up all the data and everything. It's really cool. G4s everywhere (no G5s around, unfortunately). Nevertheless, when you need a particular program, you need a particular program. And if that program is for PC, then there you go...

Oh, and accountancy firms, etc., that build applications based on SAP systems and open-sourced (for a royalty) Microsoft software tend to need PCs to do their dirty work.

However, PeopleSoft has a strong Mac base and Oracle has generally supported Macs. Hopefully, things will be tweaked and Apple will be able to demonstrate to businesses that Oracle/PeopleSoft is more efficient using a Mac than a PC (not that I know that it is).

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

If I had used Macs from the beginning and switched to a PC, going to CompUSA would be heaven. Having a huge store with hundreds of titles to choose from and all the games. But I probably would spend a fortune on addons, Norton utilities, virus software, and iApp clones. And it would slow my fancy P4 to a old G3 class machine with all that junk. No thanks, never want to go back to the dark side.

4. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I'm not suggesting that PCs are useless and don't have there own strengths, but I'm saying that people who use the Mac don't one day sit down at a PC and 'see the light'. PCs are better at gaming and a few other select applications, but all in all are a pain in the ass to use. PCs users all the time say that they love how simple and straight forward using a Mac is, but Mac users don't have the same reactions to XP.

If I did a search for testimonials from people saying how easy using a Mac is after using Windows for years, I'd probably get hundreds of results. If I did a search for testimonials from people saying how easy it is to use XP after using only Mac for years, I don't know if I'd get ANY results (certainly not anywhere close to ratio of OS users).

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

People new to Windows today would probably wonder what ever happened to the B: drive. Drive letters seem so dated from back in the DOS days. The Start Menu with Program Files tends to be too messy. Most people don't use the Start Menu to run programs and fill their screens with dozens of icons. Even icons that they never use. It's a pain to go clean that up and your Program Files menus. You can't always drag an application to another location and expect it to work. Popup ads with IE are the norm for Windows users. I would miss the ability to sync my bookmarks with my other machines. I am sure it can be done with some 3rd-party app. The built-in speech with Windows XP sucks. Having to install drivers for everything is a pain.

On my Dock, I created a folder with alias to all my less used Mac programs. My Dock is very clean. I probably would do something similar on the Windows side but have it a folder on the desktop instead of on the start menu. I would miss Expose on Windows to take advantage of all the programs that I would have running at the same time.

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I switched a Mac office to PC once a long time ago and I swore I would never do it again. :D

Here are my observations from that anti-switch:

1. All of the error messages scared them. I had no idea how many times a PC popped up an error! I just ignore them and click through them. But, everytime an error would pop up they would call. I had to explain to them if they get one error, not to call and wait to see if they got it repeatedly.

2. Mac users are not afraid of messing with settings like PC users. One of the users was playing with her screen resolution and set it to well beyond the capability of the monitor. She didn't realize that the computer had no idea what the monitor could do. Also she mucked around in Word changing settings and made it so that Word wouldn't work at all. I can't remember exactly what Word was doing, but I do remember that I spent 3 hours at her desk untangling the settings. (I even tried re-installing Word, but the settings do not uninstall. :rolleyes:)

3. In the long run, Macs are way cheaper to maintain. The client began calling complaining about how much tech time he was paying for, and was referencing his old invoices from his last upgrade.

Needless to say that client is switching back this year. :D Now on the flip side I don't talk PC users into switching either. If they cannot access any program they used to use the PC users get annoyed. So I only switch people who come to me and as for it. Surprisingly I have switched mainly PC users to Mac users in the last year. And even more surprisingly they have come to me on their own without me pushing the issue. ...

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

One thing that gets me in the Mac vs. PC debate is the gaming situation. Not being into games hardcore, I can only look at my experience with the Nintendo and Nintendo 64 game machines. It seems far cheaper to me to buy a new game machine then to buy a new computer to keep up with more advanced games.

It's been only a few months since I came back to Mac. I really wonder why i ever left (had a G3 System 8 desktop). It is so nice not to have to know about the OS as i felt I did under XP.

The only real OS issue i have had is when I added the Epson 2200 printer. I had already added the CX6400 printer. After the new printer was installed the CX6400 was lost so to speak. It was there in the printing menu. I sent a document to print, and it "printed", but no output. I reinstalled with the latest drivers and so far the CX6400 seems to print OK. I have yet to try it with the 2200, but I have my fingers crossed.

I know it is off topic, but in order for Apple to get more switchers two things need to happen. One they should include MS Office in every computer. Two they should do what they can to get Access and Projected ported to OS X. That would end a lot of the hesitation in my mind with another 40% of the market.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

When I 'switched' to a PC I was very pleased. I didn't say "WOW! What an awesome computing experience!! What have I been doing all my life!", I said, "WOW! Everything is so much faster, and starcraft runs 10x better! Wow, look at how many more programs there are." etc.

Don't get me wrong, i love macs, but PCs definitely have major advantages. Many PC users would enjoy having a mac more, and many mac users would enjoy having a PC more. These potential switchers probably haven't switched either from fear of not being able to do what they have previously done, out of love for their old computer manufacturer, and/or denial.

scem0

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Being a Nintendo fan myself, i can see where you're coming from. However, there are, to this day, still games that come out only on the PC (and sometimes Mac) platform.

WarcraftIII? I don't think that's gonna be on a console anytime soon? Doom 3? Half-Life2? The Gamecube, unlike the PS2 cannot play DVDs either...so yet another reason to at least get a DVD RW!

I don't see how it is that expensive to upgrade every 2-3 years as opposed to getting a console when IT IS NEW (try to remember how much XBox/PS2 were at their introduction.) Factor in, say, 10-12 titles. Even at just 50 bucks each, your easily spending anywhere from 500-600 dollars + initial cost of the machine. That will easily break a grand.

Considering how fast things move in the PC world, i know by waiting 2-3 months after a major CPU release, another one will be coming soon (w/o the rumor sites). New CPU releases means the 2nd best is a pretty good deal, the 3rd best a ridiculously good deal (anywhere from 2x to 3x less the cost of the highest performing CPU).

Ditto with video cards--about 3-4 months ago, there was a deal for a 9800 Non-Pro for only 200 dollars! Unfortunately that sale is now gone and the product is also not in production anymore (it is between the 9600xt and 9800 pro).

I was running counter-strike on a measly 800mhz Athlon just 1.5 years ago...and considering i got my newer system for much cheaper than my older system (1500ish at the time of purchase from a mom-and pop in '99) i thought it was a great time to get another system (for about 600bucks.

*take notice i only defend the HW, not the SW*