Switcher's Article - Dropping Windows for Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ~Shard~, Apr 3, 2004.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Amen to that! I'm sick of all the peecee people bragging about mhz and how fast their machines are :rolleyes: who the hell cares?

It's also good to here a programmer speak well of the Mac, most of the programmers I've met in the past never had anything good to say...

3. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exactly - it was nice to hear a prgrammer echo those sentiments. I see far too many posts (and resulting arguements) over speed on these forums, and I just shake my head sometime. There always seems to be someone ranting about the latest and greatest AMD chip or what have you. Me, I'm happy with my Mac! :cool:

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I work with a guy that's totally OBSESSED with Intel. He's a nice guy, but he believes that overclocking everything is the wave of the future. Yesterday he tells me "Someone has overclocked a pentium EE and some corsair ram to over a 1GHz FSB. The processor got up to 4.44GHz. At 4.45, it cracked the core in half!".

Give me break. The pc world has a faster computer than the G5, but it costs >$1200 for just the processor and memory. I doubt Intel's warranty covers overclocking.

I told him that the new PMac's would have dual/independant 1.5GHz FSB's, and that the new PowerPC 970's will run ~36% faster than the FX-53 (which is barely faster than an overclocked Pentium EE).

Some people just don't get it. Intel's a dying breed. Ask Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Toshiba, etc. They're technologically inferior... unless you overclock one.

5. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, that's pretty much bang on - what has Intel really done lately anyway? The only semi-good things I ever hear about them from friends is the exact same things you've described above - "Guess what I can overclock my Pentium to!!!" If I ever bought a PC chip again, for my server box, I'd definitely be steering far away from Intel. But my main computer will always be a Mac. :cool:

6. arsbanned macrumors newbie

Don't let the overclocker crowd get to you. It's an enthusiast movement. Sort of like fixing up cars? Or collecting coins. It's a hobby. These are people who prefer to not have a turnkey system such as a Mac G5 that just works. I don't think it has a whole lot of relevance to the PC/Mac preference argument.
    That said, evangelists on either side tend to annoy me. I use both a PC and a Mac and enjoy both of them. I can do the same work on either platform.
    I think- visually- OS X is more fun to work with, however, so don't hurt me.
    :D

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i don't like fanatics on either of the spectrum either. there is advantages and disadvantages to both system. in choosening a system the combination of hardware and software with your functionality needs the big factors, not to mention the price of the system. there isn't a right answer for the world, but there is one each individual person or company in choosening a computer system.

8. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Yes, I wonder if they have caught some sort of sloth virus from Motorola. It difficult to see why they are so stuck for speed, they have presumably painted themselves into a technological corner with the P4, and they don't know how to get out without looking foolish.

Perhaps they are waiting for the Mobile chips to surpass the P4 in raw mhz so they can then pretend they are the NEW P5's :p

9. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, that will be interesting. Hmmm, what will Intel call the P5s anyway? The prefix for "5" is "penta", but they're already using that in the word "Pentium". Will Intel name their P5s the "Pentium Pentium" - or how about "Pentium Squared"? ;) :cool:

10. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Kinda sounds like a heroin addict writing in his diary, just glad to finally hear someone from the PeeCee world wake up and go clean......

11. cait-sith macrumors regular

I received a CD in the mail this week from Microsoft. It's an update and firewall cd. I guess this is a precursor to XPSP2. Actually, I suppose it's required, since the RPC bug in XP means you can NOT install the OS and put it online without getting a virus within 30 seconds. Literally. I actually caught one on my laptop in between the time the machine started until my firewall started up.

So here you have a broken OS, one that does NOT work on install. It requires serious patching before you can even get it on the net. This is akin to buying a new car, then having to get it TOWED to the garage to get the alternator, transmission, and coolant systems replaced under warranty.

This is about the point in time I decided to join the Mac world. Should be ordering a machine within the month.

What happened to the computer being a means to an end, not an end in itself?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wish I could say the same. Until Autodesk ports AutoCad and related programs like Architectural Desktop to OS X I'm stuck with Windows at work. Which isn't that bad, except I'd so much prefer if all my email and photo and daily life stuff happened on one platform.

13. TDT macrumors member

Overclocking a chip doesn't change the architecture of the chip, in some regards it does make the machine overall faster, but that's not really the full reason people do it. Infact, I personally feel that the ~x86 architecture is still fairly good, but the new 64 bit processors are even better.

To elaborate better on the overclocker statement, I will explain my point of view. I, am an overclocker (I feel like i'm in AA). I literally overclocked every piece of hardware that I got my fingers on, including processors, video cards, motherboard (FSB, linked to processors), etc. I also heavily tweak anything I use, including memory usage in Windows, and swap/HD configurations/net configurations in Linux. Why do I do this? I got a dual AMD MP 2400, I don't need to do this for speed. The reason why, my friend, if because there are two groups of people who do this. The first group, are people like me, who try to make their computers work the absolute fastest, and most stable as humanly possible. It's common knowledge that Intels, and AMDs are underclocked of what they actually can handle, overclocking gets it closer to what it should have come from the factory. The 2nd group, is the group who goes around trying to see who has the biggest and best computer.

I'm guilty of both parts, but fall under the first category, as I literally tweak everything as much as possible to do this. This isn't an ~x86 only thing, if I got a mac desktop (I ordered a laptop, and I don't overclock laptops due to heat issues), I would overclock it..simply said. I go through painstaking efforts to optimize my computer to the max it can be. I even go so far into this, that I use gentoo, heavily set for my exact chipset...it's all to squeeze the last bit of juice this box can produce, and get it running perfectly.

You may feel that your mac is great the way it is, without overclocking - most people would agree with you that any stock computer is fine the way it is, but then there are people like me...people who will test anything, and everything, to find out what is possible and to pick the best comination.

I hope that helps most of the people understand another point of view on this. Overclockers, like many gamers and exploit finders, have a pretty bad image with the general computer user community. Simply said, we aren't all that bad - we just enjoy messing with stuff until it works perfectly.

Oh one last thing, I'm getting my powerbook soon, and trust me...I will be digging through every single thing I can change, including command line FreeBSD configuration files to optimize the computer. I won't overclock it just due to the simple fact that heat is a big issue I rather not deal with on a laptop - but it will be tweaked to run the best it can run.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This is assuming Apple keeps the 2:1 ratio, which they might not...I am not even sure memory could even utilize all of 1.5GHz...could easily see 3:1 in next PM...which ain't too shabby either...and they only real measure of speed (comparative or otherwise) is in the experience of the individual user...% means little...
    ...some say this (or have said) about Apple and its' technology/products...be careful...don't think Intel is out of the game yet. and we as Mac users should be thankful that there has not been too much additional competition against the unrevised G5s we have...in these times, any platform/chipset etc. is more than capable of fulfilling the majority of users needs...I personally like the choices available by AMD, Intel and IBM...all good, all fast...
    Anyway, like to hear another positive switching story...yay...

15. TDT macrumors member

Heh, yeah...This is my first mac in about 11 years (started programming on Apple 2e when I was in 6th grade), and haven't really touched a mac for about 9 years or so. I'm looking forward to getting my powerbook in the mail...when it gets here. I'm not totally 'switching' to anything though, I'm still going to use Windows, Linux, and now a mac. It can only help my development skills by developing on other types of machines.

Should be fun, especially something easy to carry around for college.

16. Gaffa Bug macrumors newbie

link