Switching advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Magickmas, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Magickmas macrumors newbie

Hey all, I just registered here and have only read a few of the topic on the first page of this forum so my apologies if things like this have been answered elsewhere.

Anyhoo, I'm looking at swapping out my desktop for a laptop and after checking around for a couple months now it seems the 15" 1.25ghz PowerBook would fit my needs ideally and is the lowest cost laptop for what I need it to do (given student discount). Comparable PC laptops are averaging out around $100-200 more.

So, my question is...

Should I buy this now so I can use it this coming semester or wait until whenever the G5 PowerBooks are supposed to come out and stick with my desktop till then?

I'm somewhat disinclined towards waiting, as I haven't read anywhere that the G5 PowerBooks are coming anytime soon so unless there's some info I missed I believe I'm just going to purchase the 15" PB this month.

Hmmm not really much of a question seeing as I've somewhat already decided. But, any advice would be much appreciated.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i doubt the g5s will be out by summer probably sept or oct earlier. but dont quote me cuz it could be a longer wait. but seriously the g4 pbs are great machines. you can't really go wrong here.

3. Italchef macrumors 6502

From my understanding, and believe me I'm no mac guru, the problem with the g5 chips is their cooling. Apparently, the g5 towers have 9 fans and specially designed air flow chambers to dissipate the heat that these babies produce. If you watched the recent keynote speech at MacWorld, g5 servers were released and they've had to put two big air intakes on the front of the thing to increase airflow. You can now see the problem with putting the present g5 chip in an iMac let alone a laptop.
    Bottom line: buy whenever and never look back. I have my new iMac and lurve it....

4. Magickmas thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so it looks like a 15" 1.25ghz powerbook is the way to go.

My only concern now is I need this to last me at least 3, probably 4 years. I'm going to be using it mostly for email, web browsing, writing, and the occasional foray into Flash and Photoshop.

Think it'll do the trick for the years to come?