Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exodus1973

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Wellington, NZ
I'm a long time (suffering) PC user that has become so tired of my family complaining everytime my WinME machine crashes, that I've decided to move to Mac for the family computer.

Wanting the best of both worlds, I'm upgrading my PC as well, and will now look at the Mac Mini. Obviously sharing the LCD, keyboard and mouse is where I need to go.

Is there anything out there that will do this for me at a reasonable price?

Cheers,

Bill

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Mac Mini. You don't really do much upgrades on a Mac, aside from RAM. You can, but iHave a few older Macs that have gone for years without having their factory seals cracked open. And they don't crash... :D

Get the Mac Mini, and you can use your keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Or get a new cheap 20 dollar keyboard and mouse if you are so inclined.

There is Office for Mac, so Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are all compatible. Entourage is Outlook, but for the Mac.

Welcome to the light side of computing.

exodus1973

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Wellington, NZ
Problem is I still need to have a PC for my business.

I would like to have the PC and Mac use the same keyboard, mouse and LCD monitor, and then switch between the Mac and PC depending on who's using it.

Thanks.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
exodus1973 said:
Problem is I still need to have a PC for my business.

I would like to have the PC and Mac use the same keyboard, mouse and LCD monitor, and then switch between the Mac and PC depending on who's using it.

Thanks.

All you need extra is a KVM with USB. Search around. You can get 'em for pretty cheap. For example, here's one from Belkin:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201725&pcount=&Product_Id=164030

P.S. Belkin frequently has half-price sales!

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Yes, the exact device you are looking for exists. It is called a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch. I know they sell one on the Apple store online and I'm sure you can find many others (probably cheaper) elsewhere.

I have even seen some that have additional USB ports on the switch that allow you to easily share USB peripherals--like a printer or USB broadband modem-- easily between the two computers. Just push a button to change which computer you are interfacing with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.