Switching between phones, and providers - bluetooth tethering

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Trebz, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Trebz macrumors member

I posted this on Howardforums earlier in the week, but didn't get any responses. Hopefully someone can help me out with this...

So I have a Samsung Synch A707 on Cingular (personal line) and I have a Blackberry Pearl 8100 on Tmobile (work line).

I have successfully tethered both of them via bluetooth on my Macbook.

However, it seems to be quite a pain to switch between the two.

Unless I am missing something, I have to actually walk through the configuration wizard for configuring/adding a bluetooth device. Granted, all the settings are there, but it still seems like this could be easier.

After I do that, then I open up 'internet connect' where I have created separate configs for each phone/provider.

I also tried to create a separate location in the 'Network' setting (in the system preferences), however, it seems to default to the phone I used last.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Maybe.. Applications > Internet Connect.app

then click on bluetooth, and choose 'edit configurations' next to 'configuration'. It appears to let you switch between them.

3. Trebz thread starter macrumors member

Tried that. It allows my to save the phone number etc. But when I switch between the settings, it tries to use the phone/blueetooth modem I used last.

So if i used the 8100, and then switch to my Cingular settings, it connects to the 8100 using the dialup settings for the A707.

After this happens, I got through and walk through the wizard to (re)configure the bluetooth device (in this example the A707), and then it works.

4. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Does it still do that when you edit the configurations in Internet connect, and select the modem (phone) script manually? Maybe running the setup assistant is assuming that all configurations will use the same script.

5. Trebz thread starter macrumors member

If I switch the script, it still applies that script to the last used phone/modem. That was one of the first things I tried.

6. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Well that sucks.. I really don't know what to tell you at this point. Maybe someone with more tethered modem experience will chime in.. :confused:

7. Hoby macrumors newbie

I think 10.5.8 is no different

It appears that didn't Apple devs didn't consider that people would want to regularly tether with more than one phone.

I just did some testing with 10.5.8 and it looks like the behavior is the same - all the ways you can specify different Network settings don't apply to which actual phone you're attempting to connect through.

The two good things are that it works better with this version and that the two phones are both Nokias connecting to the same carrier. The bad is that I can't tell my computer to specifically target one or the other on the fly.