Switching.. but not to Mac OSX

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lostboi, Dec 23, 2002.

1. lostboi macrumors newbie

Hi fellows,

If you would have asked me a year ago which is the killer system i would have shouted APPLE without a doubt.. but nowadays i am having second thoughts more and more.

I've been using macs since 1991 when i used my first mac a SE/30. It was like the iMac of the 20th century but even smaller and with a black/white screen. Mostly I played games like Crystal Quest and did some very basic drawing, i liked it better than my state of the art nintendo 8bit.. Further more i used a quadra centris performa imac and now i'm writing this thread on my QS G4.. But not for long because i'll be switching.

But don't worry i won't be switching to windows.. using those M$ machines is enough torture when i have to use them on my university.. because i'll still laugh at my friends whom are always mucking about with the products of the devil who calls himself Bill Gates. It will be a switch to linux.

I've been using the new unix based OS from apple since the public beta and i must say it's the best but slowest os. I'm now using 10.2 and what i like most is the heart of the os called darwin because it's open source.. what i mean it's free and it not only runs on a ppc but also on x86 system and therefore more agile and interesting. My main problem with all open source projects were that they lacked the apps i need like photoshop, illustrator and an easy installer. But that's all behind the past because linux has the gimp(photoshop) and sodipodi(illustrator). I'm using them right now with xdarwin and installed them with fink.. all free! and the sweetest thing is, i don't need a big bucks apple system to run them. And this final fact will be the final reason for me to switch to linux.

Apple system have always been more expensive than x86 machines, yes they did have better hardware like scsi disks and risc processors.. i said they did. Because apple now uses basic ide disks and macos x isn't optimized for risc processors, so why buy them. Anyway apple has a major problem, they don't sell you 2 cpu's just because they feel generous.

Apple lacks cpu speed and although there have been rumors they will be using the new 1.8GHz 64 bit ibm chips 2nd quarter next year they will have to come up with a better solution upcoming macworld than the ibm rumor because amd and intel will be kicking the 4GHz barrier next year.

I've always loved my mac from my first SE/30 to my current G4 QS and i've always defended the think different way against the demons who spread the M$ decease but if apple doesn't come up with a 2Ghz system next january it's bye bye apple.. hello linux.

Merry Chistmass and a happy New Year,

grtz lars.

ps. i must say macosx has enlighten me with the use of unix, apache, php and all open source apps and ideas.

2. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

good idea,

im also thinking of doing the same.

Athlough Id be the first person to have OS X on x86.

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

have you actually used the GNU counterparts for the adobe software? while powerful and free, at least the gimp is definitely nowhere near as high quality as the adobe products.

the gimp has a downright frustrating UI and has a extremely big learning curve.

i have yet to use sodipodi, but the record of OSS products' UI is not good.

another thing you get with commercial software is guaranteed product support. GNU software has nothing of the sort.

to me, you get what you pay for; thats why i bought a mac in the first place.

4. lostboi thread starter macrumors newbie

True..

Photoshop and illustrator are superior to their linux port rivals, and the support too. But i'm just a poor student and i'm talking of a non commercial point of view where people buy they computers because they want to listen to music, watch a movie, make a website maybe even do a bit of programming and use photoshop and illustrator for their casual graphics. But i've got plenty of time to figure how an application works and i'm not going to bother adobe about so i don't need the pricy support.

And if you're using a mac at work, it's less interesting to move to a cheaper platform, your company will buy you a mac anyway, even if it costs a couple of bucks extra, so why bother.

By the way, i don't find the gimp all that difficult, they copied allot of the interface from photoshop however it doesn't look the same but it does 'feel' the same.

I never believed it before but maybe most of the apple users are a bit ignorant.. they can't work windows or linux and everything needs to be served on a plate otherwise they can't understand it.. and that's what you pay for.

The thing is, linux is getting there to be a good alternative for the people who use their computer at home and apple is lacking on the demands and on the price you pay for a mac, they aren't what they used to be, a graphical ass kicking system, like silicon graphics for instance and can't compete with what they want to be.. a desktop.

grtz lars.

ps. think of what company's would save on software licenses a year.. especially from M$ since they force you to buy an upgrade on subscription!?!.. and tell you you will cheaper of eventually.. not a very good motivation for companies to further improve their software if they already sold it to you.

5. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Re: Switching.. but not to Mac OSX

"But don't worry i won't be switching to windows.. using those M$ machines is enough torture when i have to use them on my university.. because i'll still laugh at my friends whom are always mucking about with the products of the devil who calls himself Bill Gates. It will be a switch to linux."

I get a laugh out of this too. It seems like the majority of Induhviduals are stuck on Microsoft. I've encountered far too many people who could have used any other alternative to MS Office, but instead they chose to pirate or otherwise steal the software. This is why Microsoft hasn't gone down yet - too many people will go to any lengths to get the company's software, even if it means going into debt or stealing hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise from a store.

"Apple system have always been more expensive than x86 machines, yes they did have better hardware like scsi disks and risc processors.. i said they did. Because apple now uses basic ide disks and macos x isn't optimized for risc processors, so why buy them. Anyway apple has a major problem, they don't sell you 2 cpu's just because they feel generous."

I agree that this Megahertz Myth program has gotten out of hand. Apple is simply delaying its impending doom in the speed war. Apple cannot win against the likes of Intel and AMD in the PC market. If Apple wants to become truly different, it must offer something in addition to the current user experience: non-gaming graphics, SCSI disk drives, and ECC RAM. Making the PowerMac like a consumer PC and promoting Microsoft software while keeping the prices high is not a good idea.

"Apple lacks cpu speed and although there have been rumors they will be using the new 1.8GHz 64 bit ibm chips 2nd quarter next year they will have to come up with a better solution upcoming macworld than the ibm rumor because amd and intel will be kicking the 4GHz barrier next year."

If there isn't a big announcement in January concerning PowerMac development, Apple is in trouble. I hope Jobs doesn't stay silent this time.

6. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

Re: Switching.. but not to Mac OSX

i agree with you that apple must get it's hardware in better shape that it is right now. my 6100 can accept ultra3 scsi drives with a simple converter, while my 2 year old imac will max out with an ata at 7200rpm. the g4 is dying a miserable death and i was incredibly sceptical about the power4 lite/970 at first. but for people who have never (well, not until recently) believed the mhz myth, a 1.8 ghz isn't too shabby with a 900mhz bus, full ddr and the rest of the new wave goodies. as far as the os is concerned, i can only hope that os x so slow on current hardware because apple has been optimizing it for 64 bit processors. 10.2 is very fast for being such a complex system, but there's lots of room for improvement, especially in it's core. linux is quite aluring and i don't blame you at all, but don't give up on the mac entirely, a year from now apple may even have the upper hand in speed of unixes (i can dream, can't i? ;) )

7. moby1 macrumors 6502

Have you considered Linux on the PPC?

Have you considered Linux on the PPC?

You could install Yellow Dog Linux and have a dual-boot system. Then you'd still have access to all the Adobe, Macromedia stuff as well as an up-to-date Linux box.

This isn't really a suggestion, I'm just interest if you've thought about this angle. It's something I'm considering setting up when I order my new PB next month.

moby1

p.s. Actually It'd be triple-boot if you kept OS 9 (I would).

8. lostboi thread starter macrumors newbie

it's the 7th of January.. i've been waiting for this day of truth for at least two months, following all the rumors if Apple goes x86 or is going to use the 970 IBM chip, and i was hoping for a 40Gb iPod.. Steve Jobs stood up the podium at the MacWorld 2003 and revealed what i was afraid of.. nothing much!?! I do like to write these doom sentences.

I was hoping for a solution about those motorola chips but i guess i'll have to wait. I still have another year maybe one-and-a-half before i have to buy another computer, and to make a choice which brand and OS to use in the future.

I must say i do like the software Steve announced, especially the new safari browser which i'm using right now to write this thread.. its amazingly fast. I've never used a browser on the mac which scrolled so quickly like IE on M$Win and looked so nice like Omniweb. And Keynote looks very promising too just like iCal and iSync. And i was kinda hoping for a G4 ibook but instead Steve built a small Powerbook.. i like it!

Last but certainly not least.. i really like what they did with the new client for X11, it's a really good effort and shows that apple doesn't care about $$ like M$ and just wants the best for it's customers by making things easier. At first I was using xDarwin and fink with some hassle to install The Gimp and some other linux apps.. to already get used to them, but now you are able to just download some packages and run them like any other apple app.

As i mentioned just now i was getting accustomed with linux. I installed XFree86 and fink and installed a Gnome and KDE desktop with some common apps like xmms(mp3 player) kmail, konqueror(KDE's browser) you get the picture and i'm thinking about installing a linux distro on another hdisk. Something like Gentoo or Debian, of which i already have 3 iso's to install, but i think i'll still be using mac osx along with linux for a little while longer. At least for 1.5 year until this G4 Quicksilver needs to be replaced.

greetz lars.

ps. i gave up os9 a long time ago. Since my crucial apps like photoshop and illustrator showed up on osx i've been using os9 just for my outdated scanner.. and UnrealTournament.. hehe

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well

All I can say is that the hardware update slee is not over. I believe in the time frame of now to MWNY we will see some very nicely updated powermacs.

If Apple CAN incorporate all these new technologies on a computer that is one inch thin, I can only IMAGINE what is in store for us at MWNY.

Although, I think the PowerMacs will be updated in early February.