Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Artimus, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Artimus macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2004
    I am off to university this fall and getting a laptop. I have about $4000 Canadian to spend on it. I got an iPod for graduation and it was the first Mac product I've ever had. It's just so beautiful that I'm now looking at Macs for my laptop. Also, I'm majoring in film and video and will be doing DV work, which might include work on my laptop. And Macs have the reputation for being the best at this sort of thing.

However, I'm still a little bit uncomfortable with program compatability. There are a couple programs I'm not sure I could do without. I need Paint Shop Pro and Filetopia. But both programs require Windows XP. I read something about Virtual PC on Macs. What is that? And is there any way I can run those two programs?
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can get VPC which will probably run those two programs but you might be better off trying to find Mac equivalents.

You can buy a copy of Photoshop Elements for about $50 (by the time you use rebates etc) which I use to do everything I used to do on Paint Shop Pro. It works very similarly and there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve in swapping over.

Filetopia I've never used so can't comment on a Mac equiv.
  3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I don't think you'll find a Filetopia replacement. At least not directly. I looked into it a smidge and mildly remember loading it on my PC a long time back... but... yeah.

Another option over Photoshop elements is GraphicConverter X (http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/index.htm) It's a nice lil' program and is only $30.
  4. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    The Apple website has a section about programs made for mac,
    http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso, which has a search section. If you visit the site, you can seach for the program type, for e.g., photoshop came up with 427 search objects. There are normally many mac equivilants for most programs foir wintel.

Good luck with the purchase, and might i suggets a computer? Go for the PBG4 15inch, and depending on your funds, the 1.33ghz computer will last for ages, and run Tiger easily.
  5. mangophreek macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you're doing Film (and you said York in the other thread) go for a Mac. Everything they use is Macs. Everything. That's what I'd say, its easier for compatibility. The G5 labs make me happy.
  6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    there you go...just a few ""swap overs" but more mac apps you will use after switching are much better than there pc equivelents
    i hope you find them usefull.... switch you will never look back

Attached Files: