Switching cell phone companies

Discussion in 'Community' started by mikeyredk, Jun 22, 2005.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
    Hello fokes,

I absolutely hate sprint, poor phones, poor coverage. The only thing that keeps me from switching is my dads great plan of 2000 minutes for $85, unlimited data. So I am out of my contract and frustrated constantly when calling people and having to recall them 3-4x while being outdoors. Currently using a t608, my old phone use to be a sanyo 4200 both with the same problems :(

I am thinking of switching to cingular for the roll over plans, with the motorola v3 (anyone know where i can get a black one for $150?). Anyone do this switch from sprint to cingular? or have experience with cingular? no one in my family has experience with them. But i do consider myself the black sheep of the family :p
  2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    My family and I are about to switch to Cingular as a matter of fact.

Can't tell you though if they are any better, but we can switch at the same time and find out together. :p

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    I haven't done the switch exactly, but when ATT got bought by cingular my service got a lot better. Living in the hills, not all cell phone service works well. verizon is ok, t mobile seems to work well where I am, but sprint is atrocious. I seem to have the least problems of anyone in my house (or maybe I complain less about little things) and I'm the only one with cingular. Its worth talking to others in your actual area to see how the coverage is for various services. if it matters, I'm in Oakland, Ca.
  4. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    My family and I are planing to switch from Sprint to Verizon.

I have been a Sprint customer since my first cell phone back in 99, stuck with the devil that I knew until now. I really don't have all the issues that everyone else does, but my folks want to try something different and my contract is running out, so I figured I would hop on board.

I wish that Motorola and Nokia made all the same phones for Verizon that they did for other companies...moreover I wish that Sony Ericson made phones for Verizon, those puppies are sweet looking.
  5. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
  6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    They make it in black :confused:
  7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I was a bellsouth/cingular customer for years, finally got feed up with appalling service and switched to verizon, carried my number over, and I have been very happy for over a year now.
    Cingular lost alot of customers when they could take their number, and I was one of the first. Can't stand them, they always ranked at the bottom of consumer reports too.
  8. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003

what do you mean? is it when you called customer service? quality of your calls? quality of your phone plans?
  9. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
  10. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    I use Sprint, and they have absolutely the best customer service and best voice mail system.

Sprint could get some "cooler" phones though.

I was on Cingular, and I would not recommend them. Their customer service is horrible. There are really long hold times, and the people are rude.

I also hated Cingular's voice mail for three reasons:
    1. No auto-login like Sprint (why should I have to keep entering my passcode everytime on my own phone).
    2. No auto date/time stamp (not even an option to turn it on)
    3. Voice mail box limit is 5 messages!!! (unless you pay extra, which is asinine...they might have changed that now).
  11. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    With Sprint, i've found that the phone makes all the different.. my Motorola would drop calls everywhere except in a yoga position on my bed. When i got my newer phone i could get reception just about everywhere except in the very center of my house.
  12. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2005
    38° 12'47.72" N 85° 31'54.63" W
    I have been with Cingular for years and have never had any problems at all with the exception of a few billing issues..(nothing major and mostly my fault.) As for the customer service I have had no issues and they have actually been better than most. While I agree that their hold times can be a little long (Especially on Mondays) I usually never have to wait more than 10 minutes on average.

In response to the voicemail comments above... They may have been true at one time but that is not the case now..

1: When I get a VM my phone (V400 by moto) automatically gives me a call button to press. If I choose to ignore that and call VM later then all I have to do is press and hold the #1 key and it autodials and connects to my voicemail. The only time I get prompted for a password is if I call voicemail from a phone other than mine.

2: My VM automatically tells me the time of the VM before it even plays it.

3: The basic VM (Read Free) allows you to store 20 messages and will hold them for 14 days.

Needless to say I am VERY satisifed with cingular especially since they have absorbed ATT and taken their towers as well.

On a side note talking about phones. While the V3 Ravr by moto is a cool phone It is not one I would go with right now. I tried one for two weeks and while I was impressed with the size and weight of the phone I was less than impressed with the battery life. Right now I am using a V400 and love it but they are no longer available. I would rec the motorola V551. Right now you can get it for $50

Oh well just my 2 cents worth.
  13. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Thanks for correcting me. All those voice mail issues got on my nerves when I had Cingular, and I dumped them. Glad to see that they have corrected those issues.
  14. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    Im a cingular customer (my first cell phone so i don't know what the others are like. The coverage is nice ... i've experienced some drop outs, but they seem to be consistant with solar flaring and are not too bad; don't even notice till your out in the boonies.

Voice mail is great and i've had good customer service. Tons of Cigular shops around here so help is near (North West). i got the Go plan 'cause i hate to talk on the phone, i hate to spend money on an invivible product (im paying for time???), and im not signing a damn contract.

I have a Moto 550(551?) and it's a great phone ... the battery life could be better (stand by for a few days; if you're a heavy talker you need to charge it quite often), but if i ever get a car charger it would be perfect. :) Good display (a little hard to see in sunlight, but most are) and great sound. I had the Sony-Erricson flip-video phone (model num.?) for awhile ... it came with a Star Wars video clip (Empirial walker scen from Empire) and some Star Wars SFX. It was a great phone, but the Moto 551 is sleeker, smoother, and has BT. :D

Tiger iSyncs with it. ;)

*the RAZR was on sale at Best Buy (Cingular) for $150 (2yr contract) the other day

peace | neut
  15. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I have a national-rollover 2-line Cingular plan and a Nokia 3120. Cingular seems to be okay, and the Nokia (FWIW) is good except that since the data cable is PC-only, I had to hook it up to my old Dell to upload a vintage-phone ringtone to it.

I don't know how Motorolas are as far as Macintosh connectivity goes, but I just use mine as a telephone anyhow, so I only had to connect once.