Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UmaThurman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Georgia
Hi everyone, i'm very excited to be purchasing a mbp as soon as the new upgrades come. However im totally unfmailiar with macs, i never used one. I'm buying one after seeing my good friend use one, and i want to try something new. My question is, will it be hard to get adjusted to a mac? there's no apple stores nearby, so i can't go to a store for classes. appreciate your time.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
There is a short period of adjustment. It is usually a few days to a few weeks depending on how eager you are to try new things. In addition to the links Yellow provided, Apple has a Switch section on its web site. I always recommend Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition by David Pogue. It can be very helpful to people who are used to Windows. Best wishes.

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
ha, there ARE ways to ease the switch to WIndows from Mac. I skinned my XP to look as much like OSX as possible.

The Mac should be fairly straightforward to catch on to if you know your computer system well. It may take up to a month to figure out where EVERYTHING is, but all the stuff you will need right away will be easy to find and operate.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
UmaThurman said:
Hi everyone, i'm very excited to be purchasing a mbp as soon as the new upgrades come. However im totally unfmailiar with macs, i never used one. I'm buying one after seeing my good friend use one, and i want to try something new. My question is, will it be hard to get adjusted to a mac? there's no apple stores nearby, so i can't go to a store for classes. appreciate your time.

I switched about 5-6 dozen when i worked for CompUsa in 5 months. I would tell everyone of them it would take 3-4 weeks for everything to sink in on a day to day basis. Some might argue but its based on people who would very rarely use a computer. That being said id say go for it ive switched my whole family and everything is happy.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I switched with ease, and enjoyed every second of it. I am surprised that noone has mentioned that you have come to the number one resource for help; as you will probably have found out, these forums are full of people like you, and even fuller with people willing to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.