switching from linux (!) to macosx and ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Profoss, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Profoss macrumors newbie

I have ordered a 12" ibook from applestore,
    800 mhz
    40gb hd
    AE
    368mb ram

does anyone know what is the normal shipping time, gone two days allready and i am sick of the waiting :) (yeah i know impatience)

Can iTunes run .ogg files? i have imported all my albums to my current linux desktop into .ogg.

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have found that the Apple Store is good about shipping times as long as it isn't special cases like the G5 delays. I received my PowerBook in 7 business days in September and my older one arrived in 4 business days back in 99 when I ordered it. Yes, I remember, because those were 4 painful days as I was going to become a switcher upon its arrival.

edit: I am not sure about your file format question, though, I have never heard of it (but then again I have never had the chance to try Linux, unfortunately) but I don't think iTunes plays it. If it doesn't, check out Version Tracker and see if there is another media player that can play it. There is an insane number of free apps out there for OS X and I found found a wealth of multimedia programs that play all kinds of formats I have never heard of.

3. Profoss thread starter macrumors newbie

hehe, the .ogg is a free (as in beer) audiofile like mp3 (with variable bitrate), it's mostly used in the linuxcommunity. I bet it's really easy to include support for it. :)

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Unfortunately, iTunes does not support .ogg format. There are lots of conversion programs available though, so you can turn your ogg files into mp3 or aac.

5. therevolution macrumors 6502

6. Profoss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot :D
    i was afraid i had to backup the entire cdcollection once more :)

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I figured there'd be some sort of patch or app that would play the file. Thanks to the opensource community and the Unix foundation, OS X is insanely flexible and I don't doubt that you could literally do anything and run anything under OS X. Not to mention, I would bet my life on the fact that there are some of the most brilliant people in the field of computer programming that are among the people who are active in the opensource community.

8. therevolution macrumors 6502

It's basically just a plugin. But hats off to Apple for making their apps open and flexible enough to do things like this.

9. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Cool, I stand corrected. Good luck with your new Mac!

10. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

congrats and welcome to the light :)

I guess you will experience at the beginning some minor frustrations. Because Os x seems to be not as configurable as linux is.
    Thought as soon as you realize that actually all of the possibilites you ve got with *nix are available with os x ( through terminal and the /etc ) you ll be glad to have done the switch.

:)

11. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Don't forget

Remember that you can still use some distros of Linux on your Mac. Though I've not used Linux, TerraSoft seems to have a great product at yellowdoglinux.com, but you have to pay for it. Debian Linux, LinuxPPC, and others should also work, as they can run on the PowerPC chip that macs use. I personally greatly desire to have a dual boot Yellow Dog Linux and OS X laptop, with Virtual PC. Talk about compatibility!

PS Does anyone know of an ogg player/decoder app for OS 9?

12. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Actually, you can download any version of Linux for free, including YDL. Thats the point of Linux ;).

13. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Well, except that they play around with that a bit. For example, the latest YDL you can download won't have graphical driver support for the ATI 9600 (the card in my new Powerbook). If you want the latest and greatest XFree86 that supports the card, you have to buy their CD.

(I know I've said this before...) After repartitioning my HD and starting to play with YDL on this machine, the little things that Linux doesn't support (yet?) started to drive me nuts - and I remembered why I moved to OS X from Linux in the first place. :)

14. Profoss thread starter macrumors newbie

got my iBook yeasterday, damn, i knew these laptops looked good, but i didn't expect it to look this good :)
    Best part is that everything works (havent tried the wlan yeat) .ogg is playing in itunes. i am speechless.
    The next move would be a imac or powermac to replace the x86 machine :)

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's great to hear, I am glad that you are happy with your purchase. If you ever miss Linux, you can always set up a dual boot and pick from a variety of flavors to run on your iBook, as well. I hope your iBook and any future Apple related purchases continue to give you the experience you are looking for and there are plenty of us around who can help you with any questions you may have.

16. Profoss thread starter macrumors newbie

go back to linux? :) never, i have everything i ever wanted in a OS right where :D

17. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Where?

:p

irmongoose