Switching (from mac to mac)!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smileyguy, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I'm in a position I've never been in before, namely switching from mac to mac, and I'm just wondering about getting all my files from one machine to the other. What's the easiest way to go about doing this? Is there any way to directly transfer my folder structures/files from one machine to the other?

Thanks.

SG

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Do you just want to transfer your files, or do you want to do a clean install on your new Mac and transfer files and settings from your old Mac?

If you choose the later, during installation, the program will ask you if you want to import items from another Mac and then you can select what type of items to import.

3. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I bought the new machine (a 12' Powerbook G4) used, and it's completely 'blank', so to speak, so I have no need to do a clean install, but if it would make things easier I'd do it. What would you suggest?

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

PowerBook G4 12 inch -- very nice computer.

What is your current Mac? (the one that you are going to transfer files from)

5. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

A G5 1.8 GHZ SP Powermac. It's not really mine though, hence the downswitch.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks.

Assumptions:

- You want to transfer everything including preferences and such.

- You have a Tiger install disk.

If these assumptions are true, then I would proceed this way:

- Boot the PowerBook from the DVD.

- Using disk utilities, I would completely erase the HD (Write zeros to disk one time). When finished, I would do a Repair Disk option. If all goes well, then your HD is probably okay. If you have a boot disk with TechTool Pro installed (such as on the G5) you might want to connect the PowerBook via disk direct mode and then use TechTool Pro to test the PowerBook HD.

- I would then proceed to install Tiger. Then when the installer asks if I want to transfer files/settings from another computer, I would select that option. When you choose this option, another dialog comes up that allows you to select which items/information that you want to transfer such as User, Applications, etc. The selections are pretty straight forward. Your issue will be HD space if you have a lot of files and applications on your G5. Note, you will need to connect the computers via FW to do this. The G5 should be in Target Mode and not on normally.

Another concern will be the number of files and applications that you have on the G5. Since Powerbooks have smaller HDs than the G5, you may need to import users when you are installing. Then after installation, connect the computers the same way (FW with G5 in target mode) and manually transfer the applications and files that you want.

Hope this helps.

7. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

If you have an external HD (or large ipod) you could clone the PM drive with Carbon Copy Cloner, then copy the cloned drive on to your PB.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Another good option.

However, since the PowerBook is a new purchase and is a used computer, I would want to check out the HD a bit before doing this.

Also, you can't beat a clean install for a smooth operating computer. Assuming that the OP's G5 has been running for a while, it might be a good thing to do.

9. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice folks. Sushi - I'm actually using Panther, not Tiger. Does the above still apply?

10. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

should be fine
    i'd still use the 'target disk mode'

when you pop on the clean version of OSX- it will ask if you wanna bring stuff over from an older machine...etc

you say "yes"
    it will walk you through the process

just need a FIREWIRE cable

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I believe so. It has been a while since I used Panther but I think it was the same or similar as far as transferring data during installation.

Just remember, after you test your HD, you can always just install the system and not transfer any data. Then after installation, connect your G5 via FW in Disk Mode and then just copy the files that you want.

Whenever I change Processors such as G4 to G5, or in your case G5 to G4, I tend to do clean installs of the OS, then the apps. Things seem to run better that way.