Switching from Mail to Outlook 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by AnnapoliSkins, Oct 12, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I have been using Mail for several years and have numerous personal folders in order to sort my mail. This has been working well, but now my job prefers for me to switch to Outlook. Even though our Outlook is ran on an Exchange Server my personal folders will not populate in Outlook 2011. Is there software which can help me or am I lost to sort though hundreds of emails and then creating personal folders in Outlook. Please help, Thanks.

2. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Export as mbox files from Mail then import the mbox files to Outlook. See bottom of this page.

3. AnnapoliSkins, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

thread starter macrumors newbie

Switching from Mail to Outlook 2011

I can not find the file on the file system. I did an export, but now can not locate the file.

4. macrumors 6502

Start to export again and you can see in the file saving dialog window where Mail has put the file.

5. macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

Select Export Mail and locate the file.
    Pay a good attention to where the file is created at at the save dialog.
    Not too hard to figure out.

6. macrumors newbie

Are you nuts? Why are you repeating what's already in the posting directly above your crap?

7. macrumors 6502

dianeoforegon

The .mbox files that Apple Mail creates cannot be used by Outlook for Mac or any other email client. They are not standard .mbox files.

There is a third party app you can use. EmailChemy will convert the files for use in Outlook.

http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/

8. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I was not aware of that. Thanks for the correction.