Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tamo'shanter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Afternoon all,

I've had the Oneplus One from January this year. I'm kinda fed up with its annoying quirks/issues and have pretty much decided to go for the iPhone 6S Plus when it comes out.

I've got a Macbook Air, iPad Air and iPod touch (last gen) so I'm hoping the iPhone will complement all of these nicely and my life will be wonderful.

Can any iPhone 6 Plus owners who've come from Android can offer an opinion on the user experience? Can you shares pics/files easily between apps, for example? Is there anything particularly annoying about the switch to iOS?

Any opinions welcome. I've heard many wonderful things about iOS and I love my iPad/iPod. I'm keen to hear the 'not so good' so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Reactions: planetf1

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Can any iPhone 6 Plus owners who've come from Android can offer an opinion on the user experience? Can you shares pics/files easily between apps, for example? Is there anything particularly annoying about the switch to iOS?

No access to file system. Each app only have permission to access files within its own allowed subdirectories. Some apps will allow you to open/copy it's files to another compatible apps. For examples movie app #1 could let you open (copy) a movie file with (to) movie app #2. That's about all the "file sharing" you get... unless you jailbreak.

Reactions: bhayes444

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
In iOS 9 though, any app can freely read and write to your iCloud Drive. You are also given full access to it and if you enable the app in settings, a file browser for it.

Reactions: StuMcBill

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
So is there a way to copy photos from the camera roll into iCloud drive? I haven't found it and it's annoying.

Not without a mac and some skill. However, attaching photos is usually done with a dedicated UI. In mail, the copy paste toolbar has an option to attach photos.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Honestly one annoying thing is that the multitasking menu takes slightly longer to activate than in Android. It's not terribly longer (maybe 1/4 of a second), and is due to the fact your double pressing a physical button; but I would use that button like a crazy person on Android! Just a different way to use the phone I guess... Also the multitasking pane only shows like 3 apps at a time where Lollipop would let you see about 5 or so, and seemed to be a bit easier town roll through. The app reloads are a bit offsetting, but are rumored to be remedied by adding more RAM with the next model, and if the Apple keyboard only had gesture typing; because I detest Swiftkey. Other than those little nitpicks the whole package is a lot more to my liking than on Android. I feel like the apps are better designed for iOS, and I like the interoperability between my phone, tablet, and computer.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Not without a mac and some skill. However, attaching photos is usually done with a dedicated UI. In mail, the copy paste toolbar has an option to attach photos.

Nah I just want to do be able to do it on my phone, I know it's possible from a Mac, but to me it's kind of bizarre they didn't include that option on the phone. Hopefully in a future update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.