Switching from Windows, Qs about keys

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mersea, Aug 28, 2005.

1. mersea macrumors regular

Getting used to the keyboard on my iBook hasn't been much of a problem. My biggest peeve so far is there isn't a backspace key. Delete is fine, but it only deletes the characters in front of the cursor, is there a shortcut to make it act like a backspace key (something like apple-delete.. except that doesn't work)? Also, the arrow keys in the bottom right corner also have home/end/etc mapped onto them, but how can I make them act as such? I've tried fn+arrow key but that doesn't work..

2. mpw Guest

I've left my iBook at work this weekend but if memory serves try ctrl+delete to backspace.
    I think it's ctrl+arrow for home/end etc. but you'll find they work differently to MS Windows at times.
    Just a couple of little differences you'll either get over real quick or will niggle away at you for years.

3. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Backspace is fn + delete

Weird, but fn + (insert arrow key) works for me, although i never really use them. Maybe you have "full keyboard access" or something like that (can't remember the right name for it) turned off. I think it is located in System Preferences > Keyboard.

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Are you saying that by default your delete key is a forward delete key??? :eek: :confused:

It definitely isn't on either of our powerbooks or this... :S

It's meant to be the same as backspace is on windows, except with the ability to delete higlighted pictures and files, etc.

5. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

I don't think he was saying what you thought he was saying.

Fn + delete = forward deletion

I don't know what you're trying to say.

6. mersea thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much.

fn-delete is working, but not fn+arrow keys.. I'm looking in my settings but there isn't anything beside full keyboard access and the only thing under it has to do with dialogue boxes..

[​IMG]

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Glad we helped at least 50%! lol

I just checked my keyboard settings against the pic you posted, and the only diff is that the first (top) radio button is clicked, but that should not pose a problem. Also, under the Keyboard tab, in Keyboard and Mouse settings my "Use the F1-F12 to control software features" is not checked, and exposé is set to use F9-F12 as their hot keys.

I don't see why any of these settings should cause the arrow keys to work/not work, but it may be worth a shot???