switching from windows to OS X on new processors

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by biohazard6969, Sep 2, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok, when the new intel macs come out, i knwo that they will be able to run windows. does this mean that on the apple site there will be an option for wat operating system you want? and once you order it, say you put windows on your mac (for god knows what reason) and wanted to switch to OS X would you be able to install the other OS? and vice versa?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Na na HEELLLLLL noooo!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Do not think Apple will offer Windows on any machine ... it will be a DIY with zero support from Apple.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's it, Apple has already said they will not support Windows on Macs however they concede it's both possible and likely people will put it on themselves.

5. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

LOL

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I most certainty hope not, i bought a mac for the operating system and the whole package (design, computer experience and etc.)

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Apple would have to pay Microsoft a fee to install it onto the computers. Part of the fee is passed on to you.

Apple would probably never pay Microsoft more than they had to.

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i wouldnt have thought that you would be able to install windows OS on a Macintel. Even if you could, i would rather put a red-hot iron bar up my anus than install windows on my mac.

9. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

That's a little extreme :eek: :eek: :eek:

As others have said, it is possible to install other OSs on the Mac other than Mac OS X, but Apple is NOT supporting it, and by all means, why would you put Windows on a Mac??!!?!? ......hmmmmf......

11. belvdr macrumors 601

Putting Windows on an x86 Mac would be cool for folks like me who require Windows for work use.

Also, it would be nice, and cheaper, to have one computer running Windows for all my existing games and OS X for everything else.

12. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

And for those of us who are web designers and need to test on multiple browsers and platforms.

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'd look more forwards to Virtualization, to run Windows inside OS X. That way you don't get a virus which wipes your hard drive clean under windows... but since Windows and OS X are on the same drive, bye bye data. :eek:

14. lopresmb macrumors 6502

I really think that for occasional windows users I think some sort of native running version of virtual PC will be the best option, that way, you won't have to shut down your computer and start up in stupid windows, you can simply have the functionality right in a window on OSX

15. belvdr macrumors 601

I doubt any Windows virus would wipe partitions that are not readable by Windows. I've run Win/Linux dual boot for years (since the 1.3 kernel :) ) and never had any Windows problems affect my Linux partition.

16. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I'd like a dual boot partition with win/osx.
    I'd only have about 20GB on the windows bit.. Just for the crappy software that isn't supported on mac of course ;)

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

You're joking, right?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha
    hahahahahahahha....!!!!!

I sincerely hope you are kidding. Why in the hell would Apple allow ANYONE to install Windows instead of OS X? I mean, there are hacks that allow you to run windows on the new x86 processors, but why would Apple sell a competing OS?

In short...hell no.

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That's kinda what I was thinking of above your post... but seamless would be neat though. However, OS/2 could do that, and that is one of the things that helped kill it (why write a native version when it works ok-ish with the virtual one?)

Stop thinking of the partition as different kinds of filesystems, and just of data. That data can be overwritten. Ask the MBR for partition data, and start the zeroing.

19. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I will definitely be running a dual boot system. On a small 10GB partition I will put Windows just until more games start to show up on the Mac. Then.... bye bye Windows.

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Just be prepared that your Mac data could be in danger. While no info could be taken from the drive (credit info) I doubt they really beta test spyware. Interesting to see the effects of spyware on an HFS+ volume... wonder if it will be corrupted.

21. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Was I hallucinating or did I read somewhere that the new Apples might be capable of running Windows/Linux/wtfever and OS X simultaneously direct on hardware? IE, having Windows just an Cmd+Opt+Tab away?

22. belvdr macrumors 601

While that's true, I've never seen a virus that starts writing 0s to each sector and keeps going until all data is gone.

23. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

More like:

Was I hallucinating when I read that Apple was going to have Windows as a Build To Order option in the online store?

That is probably the most clueless thought I've seen since the announcement.
    :confused:

24. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've seen a virus ~4 years ago that piggybacked onto Window's ATA driver, and whenever it read/wrote to a block it would corrupt the data there. Stuck a floppy into it and it asked if I wanted to format it. Ended up with corrupted formatting. I don't know what virus it was because the people had no A/V software and I couldn't install any. Wipe and reinstall Windows....~sigh~

(Note: It is all guesswork that it piggybacked onto the driver, but that seems the most sensible way to do it)

25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Don't do drugs, kids. You might end up like this poor guy here... may he be a lesson for us all. Amen.

:p