Switching hard drives among macs...?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jeph88, Nov 27, 2002.

1. jeph88 macrumors newbie

I was curious whether or not I would be able to switch my hard drive inside my ibook with my hard drive inside my Powerbook. I have recently upgraded from my ibook G3 to a Powerbook G4 and would like to keep all my programs by moving them to the Powerbook. Is this possible? Would they be compatible? THANKS!

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

yes, the drivers are there in X for all desktop and portable machines. your transition should be smooth.

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

but why not image it across using cccloner or something.

I just dont understand. Isnt ur ibook HD smaller than your pbook one??

if you really want use cccloner and set the pb to firewire traget disk mode.

4. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

it doesn't matter about size, he's physically switching the drives. imaging or other software solutions would take longer in this case.

they're both 2.5" HDD, so the controller should recognize either.

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Re: Switching hard drives among macs...?

I don't know if you've opened up an iBook before but it would take a lot of steps and, like, countless screws to get to your HD. The PowerBook is a different case though it shouldn't be too hard to put a HD in the PowerBook. If you tell me your model I could probably get you a service manual in a .PDF format. You'd also need a Torx T-8 screw driver to get into both the PowerBook and the iBook. In the end I'd just try playing with Target Disk Mode (Push T when the computer starts up) and hook up the two computers with Firewire. Hope this helps some.