Switching HDs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stoid, Mar 26, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I am upgrading the HD of an 733Mhz Quicksilver G4 from the original 40GB 5400RPM to a 80GB 7200RPM drive in hopes of giving my family a boost in speed and in particular to help GarageBand performance for my little brother. The 40GB drive has about 29GB of data on it and I need to clone that data onto the newer drive. I can run the tower off of my laptop's HD for the switch, but do not have enough room to store a complete image file on my laptop. I can put the image file on the second drive, but since the cloning process erases the drive, I couldn't do anything with it. I have an impossible Towers of Hanoi problem with two pegs and two discs. Is there a way to clone the original drive immediately onto the second drive without having to first create an image? Thanks for the help.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Well, I've tried the Carbon Copy Cloner thingy, and it seemed to work great. However, when I try to start the computer from the cloned drive it stops on "Waiting for Apple File System..." and continues no further. Is there some setting I should check?

4. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

DUH!!!

The Journaled File System of Panther strikes again!!

I told CCC to reformat the second drive before copying and everything went smoothly, although now it won't let me change to the custom icons on the drives?? What's with that?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly