Switching. I finally did it!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sjcaguy, Dec 3, 2003.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

Nov 24, 2003
    Alrighty. It's on the way!

14'' G4 iBook with 60GB HD, Airport Extreme, and a 512mb memory stick coming from Crucial, plus a 10GB iPod and case for iPod.

Switching from a Pentium III 600Mhz with 320mb RAM running XP Pro.

2. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    Congrats!! I hope you didnt get rid of your PC.
  3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    First of all, welcome to Mac. Always good to have new people. Secondly, that sounds like a nice setup you've got. Keep the PC, then you'll have the best of both worlds in terms of compatibility. And you didn't hear me say it, but XP Pro is a decent OS ;).
  4. switchingGeek macrumors member

Oct 11, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Since you're switching from Win, there are probably a few utils you might need to tide you over...

I switched two months ago, and these were the ones I found useful. Of course I've been using RH for the past three yrs, so that tempers my requirements.

1) SideTrack - to put a scroll-wheel, right-click, click on tap etc, onto the trackpad.
    2) MPlayerOSX - cos Quicktime doesn't do full-screen(idiocy IMO) and you need to play DivX etc. VLC is also a good option.
    3) iTerm - if you are a terminal kinda guy - allows multiple tabbed terminals.
    4) OpenOffice, if you need a word replacement.
    5) DVDibbler - to rip and backup your DVD collection.
    6) ffmpegOSX - to do a lot of neat stuff with video.
    7) fink is essential if you want to try out the myriad programs ported from *nix.
    8) I use thunderbird, as I check mail from multiple places, and Mail refuses to show things that are marked 'deleted' on my IMAP inbox (any suggestions?)
    [Edit] - I'm using PandoCalendar - it is a pop-up calendar when my mouse goes to a corner. I'm used to having a calendar when I click on the time in RH, and this is something I missed very badly in OS X.
    All the above are either open source, freeware or shareware.

Have fun!!
  5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Wecome to the wonderful world that is mac. I think you'll find your new machine to be great in most respects. However, the best kept secret of the mac world is that, unlike peecee people, mac experts are NOT snivling elitists. Everyone here at macrumors is more than willing to help you with any questions you might have about your new toy. There are no stupid questions here. We were all new to mac's at some point, and probably dealt with the same issues you will. Just start the thread and watch as the replies pile up.