Switching iMac for Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrsocko319, Dec 3, 2006.

1. mrsocko319 macrumors newbie

Dec 3, 2006
    I currently have a 17" iMac g5 2 GHz 1gb ram minus the isight and DVD burner. I was thinking about selling it to a friend and buying a Macbook or Macbook Pro. I was wondering if you guys think its worth it. If so what would be a good selling price?

Thanks alot.
  2. Boxer macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2006
    Overland Park Kansas
    I was thinking the exact oposite. I guess its true, you always want what you don't have. I am in college and need a laptop, well maybe not need but its nice for when I want to go spread out at the library and be able to sit in the back away from the other computers. That way I also have all of my information right at my fingertips.
    I had been currently thinking about getting rid of the MBP to get a 20-24 inch iMac. I just think they look so cool. Plus I can get a larger HD and a better graphics card to go with my larger screen.
    I like the macbooks. Its up to you, but maybe its time for a change for you. Go with what your gut says.
  3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Apple will sell you a brand new low-end 17" iMac for about $900. (I assume an EDU discount applies) So there is no way an informed buyer should pay more than that for a used G5 17" iMac. I'd guess the G5 is worth about $700 but there are many un-informed buyers on eBay who are happy to overpay so they can "win" an auction.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    sounds like a good plan to me. i like having a portable so i can take it wherever i am (from my bedroom to the living room to the kitchen, etc.). if you're a student, it's even better because you can have it at the library, in your dorm, at the dining hall (if you're careful!).

you should be able to get a good enough deal on your iMac G5 to soften the blow of a new/student discount MB. i wouldn't pay more than $800 for an iMac G5 and that'd only be for a like-new or brand new machine. the whole deal depends on what your friend is willing to pay.