Switching...Is it easy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMatt mini, Jul 28, 2005.

1. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2005
    Central New Jersey
    I've used Windows since I was 5. Hated it ever since I found out there was another option. :rolleyes:
    I've wanted a Mac ever since. Parents didn't like the idea (I'm 14 ;) )

I'm slowly trying to convince them to let me buy one. I think I'm pretty close.
    Is converting from Windows to Mac easy? I'd still be using my windows laptop for some work with Dreamweaver and Photoshop so I don't a) Waste a perfectly good laptop less than a year old and b) have to buy new programs

Is the conversion overall an easy, and happy experience, or will I be confused?
  2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I switched a little over a year ago. It was a rather painless transition. I backed up all of my PC documents onto CD's (luckily I didn't have much data). Popped the CD's in and dragged all of the info to my mac. It was very simple :)
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I think for tech savvy people like you, the switch is very, very easy. It isn't that bad for the non-savvy, but they need more guidance. You'll poke around and find what you need without any trouble. And we'll help you if you need it. :)
  4. quidire macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2004
    Washington DC (in Kalorama Triangle)
    I switched this past fall, I had no problems at all. There are a few basic assumptions that you need to watch out for (copying one directory over another (of the same name) does NOT merge, it replaces!) but other than that, its a piece of cake.

MR has lots of people there to help you navigate the shoals.

The only problem; its hard to go back. It literally hurts to use XP at a friend's or whatever, now. (I use Sun at work; its just different)

5. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2005
    Central New Jersey
    Thanks for the help.
    I'm 100% convinced I want one now. It's the parents that are being stubborn.
    They let my sister get one.
    They just hate me. :rolleyes:

And of course I have seen apple.com/switch/ :p