Switching jobs - the "long lunch interview"

Discussion in 'Community' started by toaster_oven, Mar 8, 2005.

1. toaster_oven macrumors regular

Hi.

if anyone remembers, I had lost my job back in January, but was only unemployed for a week, and took another job without really looking around too much. Well... in retrospect I should have passed it up. I was thrown off because I would have rather set up a few interviews first then make my decision, but after the last cycle of not working for 4 months, I think I was still in "any job is a good job" mode.

let's just say this job isn't what they advertised in the interview, and my boss is passive-agressive and verbally abusive. I need to get out of there, fast.

anyway- I have an interview on friday during my lunch hour- has anyone done the "long lunch" interview thing? I've taken a personal day for an interview in the past, but never a long lunch...

I've got my bases covered i think:

My doctor is actually around the corner from this place, and I've been meaning to go in for a referral - so I could say I have a doctor's appointment (i've been having back problems lately and my current boss knows about it)... plus I wear interview-level clothes to work every day, so no one would be suspicious... and i've taken a couple of long lunches in the past... I could also say that i'm meeting up with a friend for lunch. i mean, before this job, i used to take long lunches with friends and former coworkers all the time. - I even know someone who works in the building (it's true- i met him at a poker game this past friday- took a lot of money from him too...). I'm horrible at lying, by the way... so we shall see if this works.

anyone have any stories or advice they'd like to share?

-TO

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My advice: Take a sick day. And don't go out for anything EXCEPT the interview, and then head straight back home. You don't want to get caught outside when you're supposed to be home sick, and you especially don't want a Simone (from FBDO) seeing you and then telling someone you work with that you were out... but at least that's better than taking a lunch which in all likelihood will go longer than you think it will, causing you to return late to the office.

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Eh, who cares, it's a long lunch. Almost everybody I works with takes them all the time, and if it's not frowned upon who cares what you do on your lunch break.

BEN

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

If you don't think you can pull off the "I've got a doctor thing" but need to say something because long lunches aren't allowed, then call in sick or take a vacation day or whatever. You don't owe them anything, but if you don't get the job you're interviewing for, you don't need ongoing hassles at work because of the interview.

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I vote long lunch, either way who cares, you want those guys in the rear view mirror anyway.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, but you want to leave on your terms ("hey, boss, I got a new job, so I'll be leaving") rather than theirs ("hey, kid, you're fired")... especially if the new job is not a certainty (hence the interview).

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My point is that the coverup doesn't need to be such a big coverup.

I have left a crappy job on the spot before, never has hurt me, maybe I'm lucky.

Good luck on the interview though!

8. pigbat macrumors regular

Go with the long lunch thing. Don't lie but don't tell the whole truth. Tell your boss you're meeting up with a guy you know and may be a little long (If he cares about long lunches). This is a true statement and you're covered should someone see you there.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I second that. Take a sick day. That way you don't have to worry about the timeframe. And if you're on the timeclock like I am, you don't want to take a long lunch.

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Just tell them the truth, ask if you can take some time off in the afternoon for a interview... I have done it before and nothing has ever come from doing it. Even when I didn't accept the job I went for, not long after I got a promotion at my current job. People here (at my work) tend to understand that everyone wants a chance to develop and move further so there is never any question weather we should go for interviews etc.. its all development anyway.

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

I vote long lunch. Just tell your boss that you have to run some errands and will be back late. If he suspects its an interview, so what. They're not going to fire everyone who's suspected of going on an interview.

Actually, if your boss wants to get rid of you, you're doing him a favor by interviewing - he doesn't want the hassle of firing you, because he'll look bad for hiring you. He'd rather tell his boss that you left suddenly.

12. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Take the day off, you don't know how long the lunch will take, I had that experience before and the launch was "3 hours" :eek: , I got the Job ;) ...
    again you know at what time it starts but you don't know when it ends.

Day off, if you get the job (I hope so) you will be happy at home and you won't care later if you are caught out of office.

Did I suggest you to take the day off? :confused: :p

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

If I can I do, sometimes I just want to leave. It is certainly better to do the former than the latter, but If I have to get out, I have just gotten out.

14. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

what's with this long lunch interview?

i would hate the idea of talking and eating.

15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

What if you don't get the job? can't you vomit on the dish ? :D </it sucks, I know>

It's a formal way to say "Work lunch" ... it's like a dinner with a girl, she won't eat if she's interested (Pls, don't change the topic) ... ;)

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why not just call in sick :confused: The last two jobs I got I called in sick to get to the interviews for them at whatever my current job was at the time.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If you worry too much about it, you'll only add to the stress you don't need and that won't do any good for the interview. Take the day off and focus on the important things not whether or not you got away with taking extra time off from your current job at lunch.

Good luck,

D

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Concur, and what happens if something big happens at work, like an emergency meeting or little proj they want you to do real quick?

Take the day off.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm with clayjohanson: take the sick day and lay low the rest of the day.

The only way I would disagree with that advice is if your current boss required you to return with a sick slip from a doctor. That would be awkward.

And good luck. Abusive bosses suck.

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I wouldn't worry about the sick slip... if you keep your "illness" non-specific and vague (think Ferris Bueller), there'd be no need for you to go to the doctor, especially not for a one-day illness. "I had a fever and I threw up" is sufficient. Especially since the interview's on a Friday, which allows ample time over the weekend to "recover" from the "illness".

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Good grief. One of the many straws that broke the camel's back right before I left my last job was when the company's new owners announced that this was one of their policies (i.e. that in order to take one of your sick leave days, you had to return with a doctor's excuse). I haven't needed an excuse from the doctor since I was in high school. :rolleyes:

22. toaster_oven thread starter macrumors regular

well...

I went through with it...

I said I had a doctor's appt... only because i'm on deadline with this one project and it needs to get out today...

i'll write more later tonight.

-TO