Switching my iTunes collection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Project, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Project macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2005
    Hey, this has probably been done before, but everywhere I look on the net I get conflicting comments.

Basically, I am switching in just over a weeks time. I want my Windows iTunes collection on my new Mac. I have spent HOURS making sure my tags are perfect on the thing so dont want it to mess up in that respect. Also, my playcounts and ratings being lost would be akin to losing a son lol. I have rated 3 quarters of my collection, so losing them in the switch is not an option.

I have no external hard disk, and no DVD burner. My iTunes collection is about a gig more than my iPod, but I can sacrifice some music so that it all fits onto an iPod. I have backed up my database and xml files and sent them to Gmail as an added precaution.

Now, how do I go about preparing the files for transfer to the Mac? Hopefully you guys can help.
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Connect the two systems via Ethernet. I'm pretty sure that the database files are the same format across Windows and Mac, so you should just be able to copy your library into ~/Music/iTunes and have it instantly recognised :)
  3. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    You should be able to copy the files from you PC to your Mac as they are just XML files (which should be universal). The tricky part may be finding them. I don't know where that stuff gets stored on a PC. But your tags will be fine as they are part of the audio file itself. All the other stores is Playlists and play counts and such.
  4. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2005
    Hmm, well my PC is up for sale (need the money to buy lots of Mac add ons), so there is a chance that I may not have the PC once the iBook gets here.

So if I enable iPod as a disc, then copy the files to it, then paste it to the music folder in iTunes, that would be ok? Wouldnt itunes have the problem where it cant "locate" each MP3? Thats what happens when you move them on Windows anyway