Switching Out Hard Drive...Need Help So Soon!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surfer99, Dec 11, 2006.

1. surfer99 macrumors 6502

So I got a new hard drive to put into my macbook. I have been using these directions...http://support.apple.com/manuals/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf . I have gotten to step 1 of "removing the hard drive" I feel like a moron that have only gotten this far before I need help. Well anyway like I said I am now attmpting to loosen the philips screws along the ram door and I am having a problem finding a screw driver that will work in this situation. All it says for the necessary tools is a philllips head screw driver but I have tried two and neither work. It seems to be a very shallow screw. Does anybody have anytips or advice for loosening these 3 screws?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Your using a Phillips #1 screwdriver, preferably with a long handle? That would be a jewelers version usually available in small kits at Radio Shack or Sear's.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

try using on of those precision screwdriver kits. And try not to let the screwdriver slip, as the screws can be worn down very quickly :)

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

If you bungle things a bit you can also tried a slotted/flathead screwdriver. Sometime they get a better bite once the head is thrashed a bit...not that I have experience with this or anything:eek:

5. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

First off thanks for all the quick responses.ok well I finally thought I was set when I found a screw driver that actually fit ( a very small flat head by the way, thanks to hayduke). I thought I was going to conquer this project but all the sudden I hit another snag. I am able to get two of the three screws out. There is this one middle screw that is very tight and the last thing I want to do is completly destroy the screw. Once again....anyone have any ideas on this at all?

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

put a bit of pressure on it and turn the driver slowly. That should get it out :)

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Danger Will Robinson!

Down tools until you can go and get a PROPER fitting Phillips screwdriver. A set will cost you $6 at any hardware or department store.

Post again when you come back from the store and have the right screwdriver in hand.

8. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok well I went and picked up a set of tools at my local radioshack. Good news is that I have the proper very tiny phillips head screwdriver and it fits nicely and gets good traction on the tiny little screw, bad news is that the screw is still not budging. I really do not want to damage the screw at all. Anyone have any ideas?

9. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok well I finally was able to get the screw lose. Thank god! Now to my next road block. I put the new hard drive in and put the os x install disk in. It ask me to select a language, then ask me to "click continue in order to install all the additional apps that came with your computer or to quite, choose quit from the installer menu and click startup disk". I assume I need to click continue which I do. Then it ask me to agree with licensing agreements which of course I do. Now this is the step where I run into problems. It now ask me to select a destination and it has a picture of a hard drive and underneath it which says untilted 148gb (148gb free). When I select that drive it says that "installing this software requires 5.6gb of space". Then underneath that it has a red stop sign with a exclamation mark in the middle and it says "you cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." What does this mean? what am I doing wrong?

10. Darth Titan macrumors newbie

Before starting the install process, you need to go to Disk Utility and format the drive.

11. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

He can use the Tiger disk that came with the computer. It has the disk utility on it.

surfer99: If you have a enclosure for laptop harddrives with firewire you can copy your original over to the new harddrive. we use carboncopycloner here where i work and it works very well. just boot up to the disk you want to copy .

12. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about buying a bigger hard drive for my macbook and i was wondring which one you got?

13. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

yea I was able to find another thread on here that explained that I would need to format the disk. Thanks anyway. If you are interested in which harddrive I purchased just look at previouse posts in this thread and I know that I give a link to it. I feel like an idiot cause I cant remeber which one I got. I do knows its 160gb. Also if you are planning on switching your HD out there are a few pieces of equipment that you need which were not explained to me in the instructions. So if your interested feel free to ask.