switching over from win dreamweaver to mac

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by -elk-, Nov 1, 2006.

1. -elk- macrumors newbie

hi, its not really a super big problem but has anyone who has transfered sites over from win dreamweaver to mac experienced their pages becomming distorted in design mode? like i say its not really big because they still look the same in the browser but it would be nice to have all the same :)

just on another note has anyone any tips on how to install stand alone previous browser versions on a mac? (i.e. 5, 5.5, 6... etc) or will i just have to keep swapping back and forward with boot camp...

thanks

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Internet Explorer for Mac stopped at version 5. It was never a good browser, and really never had anything to do with Internet Explorer for PC other than it shared the same name. It always ran slowly and displayed pages badly... it is no longer supported and Microsoft recommendeds that you no longer use it.

3. -elk- thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i wasnt clear, i meant the windows versions, but its only to test in. thats why i was wondering if the only option was to swap back and forewards between windows and mac os with boot camp.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

This is just the kind of job that makes Parallels worthwhile.

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

This isn't true and a bit misleading.

When IE 5 Mac came out it had better CSS support than its windows compatriot and ran very well on OS 9.

It got some good reviews as well.

The OS X version was always pretty useless though.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

When it came out, it was still much slower than PC browsers, and after being quickly eclipsed by newer versions of PC IE, it lost it's hold in the CSS department too.

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

There was still a time when it was the best option for Macintosh browsing though :)

Quirks Mode say

"When it was released in 2000, Explorer on Mac was one of the most advanced browsers, especially in CSS."

8. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I've never had a problem between Win and Mac. In fact I use them both intermixed all day long. I have a Mac Station, a Win station and a Win server that I save all the files too. Never once have I had any configuration files. If it looks different it's more then likely your code.

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Actually that's not quite true. IE is still a non-standards compliant browser in accordance to the W3C guidelines.

I design in Firefox in Windows/Mac and then check it in IE for any tweeks that may be necessary. Unfortunately a large majority of the world still uses IE.

10. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

My response was in reference to DreamWeaver not IE. So yes, it is true.