Switching processors in G4s

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rayswrld, Aug 31, 2005.

1. rayswrld macrumors newbie

Recently I upgraded my Quicksilver G4 by replacing the 733 processor. Now I want to put that processor in my son's Beige and Blue G4 which is presently running a 533. Is this possible and what problems are there, if any?

Thanks in advance

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm not sure what you mean by "Beige and Blue". Do you mean one of these, one of these, or this?

The Quicksilver uses a CPU daughtercard and will definitely not work with any of the PCI-only Macs (Blue & White G3, Yikes! G4, and the old beige G3 machines) because these machines use a ZIF socket for their processor. As far as putting a Quicksilver CPU into an older (Sawtooth, Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio) AGP Mac, check out www.xlr8yourmac.com for info. Got to Low End Mac to determine exactly what computer you have. If you have a G3, it definitely won't work.

G4 CPU cards are very tough to swap between different G4 machines; As far as I know your Quicksilver card will not work in older G4 Macs (I don't think it will even work in my Digital Audio, which is very similar and sometimes came in a 733MHz config).Your best upgrade route would be getting a CPU upgrade card from OWC once you determine which system you have. Good luck!

3. chv400 macrumors 6502

I don't know of any G4 models that had a blue color scheme, but I know that there was a Blue and White Tower that shipped with a G3 which is upgradeable to a G4. If your son's computer is a Blue and White then the Quicksilver's CPU won't be compatible since both the socket and System bus will be different.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if the G4 is a digital audio sure it'll work, if it's a sawtooth it'll require mods and run at 550MHz, seeing as it has a 5.5x bus muliplyer.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

6. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I'd say it's not worth it to put a 733MHz G4 Quicksilver CPU into a 533MHz G4 Digital Audio system. That particular Quicksilver CPU is a notorious dog due to the absence of L3 cache and near total absence of L2 cache; the "slower" 533MHz G4 in that Digital Audio tower will actually be the faster performer in most tasks.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yeah, keep the 533, it's a 7410 which means it has 4 pipelines compared to the g4e's 7 it's faster clock for clock and the fast that the 733MHz quicksilver cpu only has 256k cache does not help.