switching questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phrac, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. phrac macrumors member

    phrac

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2004
    #1
    Well, I am ready to make the switch to a Mac. Basically the decision came when I saw Panther in action, and the very brief time I have been able to use it I fell in love with it.

    I am switching from a Dual 2.4Ghz P4 Xeon system running FreeBSD 5 (-CURRENT) and am looking at the dual 2Ghz G5. Will I notice any increase or decrease in speed? Should I just wait for a while and see if the G5's get a speed bump, or should I just buy now?

    I look forward to making the switch and appreciate any answers to my question.

    Oh, this is my first post by the way, and I have been lurking for a while and this looks like a great forum!

    Thanks!
     
  2. Veldek macrumors 68000

    Veldek

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2003
    Location:
    Germany
    #2
    Re: switching questions

    Well, as you've already got a very powerful system, I think a quick switch isn't needed. As the Power Mac should be at 3GHz in summer, I would say wait till the next revision is out. That's what I'm doing, too.
     
  3. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

    Rincewind42

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2003
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #3
    Re: switching questions

    I can't imagine anything that the Dual 2.4 Xeon can beat the Dual 2.0 G5 at right now, so speed is no issue. There are speed bumps expected any day for the PowerMac so if I were you I'd wait until at least the end of the month to see what shows up. If you really have to have 3.0 Ghz, then go ahead and wait until summer, but realize that you will be missing out on a lot of fun and use of your machine and that may or may not be work the extra speed to you.
     
  4. phrac thread starter macrumors member

    phrac

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2004
    #4
    Yes, I imagine the dual 2G5 will spank my dual xeon quite easily. I am really anxious to switch, but will wait to see if there are speed bumps coming up soon. I will probably wait until mid-march to early april to see what happens. I hope they release something soon though!
     
  5. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.

Share This Page