switching........the OTHER way :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by biohazard6969, Aug 12, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

due to cost restraints, needs, and wants mostly to do with power, i will be switching to the PC within a month :( i rele wanted to get a mac but not enuf $$$. anyways, i got a nice dell 20.1" widescreen monitor already and i'm lookin at the sony vaio bottom of the line. anyways, i'll still be a mac user, i got my belovéd powerbook with me at my side at all times, as well as the skew of other macs in my sig :eek: but my main comp will be a PC :(

i felt the need to share :(

2. Project macrumors 68020

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice one Project. :D

Can I ask for more justification for this atrocity please biohazard_6969? We're not letting you get away that easily.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Why can't you use your PB as your main computer? It's easily capable, or just as capable if not more than the cheap PC you're planning to buy.

I don't get it at all.

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yea.. that PB is a LOT better than any cheapie Sony.

Instead of getting a sony to go with, you could just get the display and hook it up to the PB and a $15 mouse/KB set.. instant desktop!

6. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Or sell, everything youve got except the monitor,, and try for a powermac?, or the monitor too, and by an iMac.............

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Well that depends, if he's talking about a Vaio laptop, than that wouldn't make sense. If he's talking about a Vaio desktop, I guess what you said makes sense. I still don't get it.

8. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

haha i knew i'd get feedback like that

i need a capable desktop (yes its the vaio desktop)

i don't have the montior YET, i'm getting it either way though

i need to keep my pb for portability issues (use it at school)

i only need to pay half for the vaio (rents chipping in for a deal if we get two, one for my bro)

i want the PC for gaming that my PB can't handle/doesn't support

i think that covers most of the questions....

10. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

sell everything, get an xbox, and an imac, lol
    ,portabilitly,, they do some great bags for the imac, lol,,,,,,,

11. vniow macrumors G4

Look at it this way, now that OS X has been hacked for other x86 systems, maybe you don't have to switch back so much after all. :D

12. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

yea i've got my mind on some of those hacks, maybe when/if they perfect them...................................

its all mainly for the games like F.E.A.R. Half life 2, battlefield 2 and the like

13. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Looking on the bright side, this PC is going to make you love your Powerbook even more. Are you going to sell the iMac?

14. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Get a Mac mini man. But I can feel ur pain as a gamer.... Thats why I have a PS2, and whoever told him to buy an Xbox should check what web site they're posting to!!

I wish so much that Virtual PC would support DirectX so that I can just play games on Virtual PC (maybe this will change with intel processors since it will be easier to emulate Windoze.....)

Well, I can't say I agree with you in ur purchase, but I feel ur pain......

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for sharing. Just think now you can enjoy viruses and spyware again. :D You are the only one that knows what best in your situation. Good luck with the reverse switch. ;)

Just remember you can always change your mind and be a switcher again. If so I will welcome you with open arms. ;)

16. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

Yo dude, definitely get the PC, Battlefield 2 is reason enough to get a PC for gaming. And FEAR is gonna be awesome, the demo is short, but now i'm even more excited.

Oh yeh, when you get the PC, email me at tikibangout@msn.com, I would like to play you in Battlefield 2. I'm hooked on it. Great online play.

17. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i did something similar--i bought a pc and use it as my main desktop, and am going to end up having to sell my emac (wanna buy one?:D). i needed something a lot more powerful than my emac and considered a power mac but couldnt justify paying twice the price for a power mac right before the intels come out. my next computer will be an intel mac, but for the time being a pc was best for my current situation. and oh yeah, games :p
    but i can sort of comiserate (sp?) with you--having a pc does kinda suck sometimes especially after having used a mac...

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That teh suxxorz man. I rele hope tat u get a roxxor PC rig that has enuf powa 4 u to do wut u need to ;).

19. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I can easily justify the higher price. I know most people can, especially if it is how you will make a living. The cost is more upfront, but oh the savings in time and headaches is priceless

20. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

You'll be crying over this, I guarantee it (or using your 'book as the main computer and the Wintendo just to play). I have a desktop PC that's at least twice as powerfull as my beloved 12" PB, and I almost never use it. Sadly, I was given an assignment in my university that requires Visual Studio, so I had to install it in my desktop... between upgrading Windows XP to SP2 and installing the damn thing, I spent like 3 hours! I was already starting to pull my hair... Oh well, I supposse is a good thing to have a little dose of Windoze every now and then to appreciate more our macs and not take them for granted ;).

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you're getting a desktop, I wouldn't blame you. Gaming is one of the few things Windows is better at. But, you aren't actually switching if you'll still be using a Mac. Many of us use both, even those of us who don't game. Some are just waiting for the MacIntels.

And if you're so strapped for cash, and a refurbished Mac is not an option, you may want to just sell or upgrade some of the ones you already own. ;)

22. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I switched back after having a bunch of crappy powerbooks and powermacs in a row... now I'm back. I thought I could do it and it was not as bad as I thought it would be but I still ended up going back to mac :D As long as I can play WoW I am happy :p

23. wako macrumors 65816

ROFL

You're buying a SONY SYSTEM FOR GAMING?!

If you went to a gaming forum and said that Im sure the admin would get pissed off enough to ban you!

Dude, if you want a gaming rig just BUILD it yourself. You will have WAY better results then that of a Sony Viao, WAY better experience with a PC, and FAR better luck of having the system run for a year.

I personally quit buying ANY mass manufactered brands since I got my first PC which was an HP. Almost EVERY system you will ever buy that is made by HP, Compaq, Sony, Emachine, or whatever you can find in retail stores, their always going to be CRAP. Why? They use extremely generic parts, install a BUTT LOAD of software (which is shareware FYI) that is COMPLETELY useless, and worst of all I believe microsoft made all its partners to NOT give the XP OEM CD anymore but instead a image of the factory settings (out of the box with all the crap in there).

If you are to buy anything I would much rather recommend a Dell. Given they DO still use low end products to build their systems like all manufacterers, they atleast do NOT install a bunch of useless software in your system.

Again the best route is to simply build your own PC. NO COMPUTER you can buy out there (except maybe the XPS systems by Dell) in a retail store is EVER going to be good for gaming. It will NOT run BF2 well and DEFINATELY will not run FEAR well.

If you really are going to buy a Viao system you might as well just donate your money to the homeless because that would be better use than buying a Viao

24. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I agree with the above poster if you want a good gaming system build it yourself, this will save you money and you will get far better performance than a Vaio any day...

ShadOW

25. andy89 macrumors 6502

Whats wrong with alienware?