Switching to a Mac - I say it's Easy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amac4me, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amac4me macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2005
    I never had any problems Switching, I had a very smooth transition. A friend recently asked me how difficult it was and I said it was easy. What do you all have to say?
  2. ZicklePop macrumors member

Mar 28, 2005
    The switch wasn't easy on my wallet thats for sure!
  3. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    I couldn't agree more. I am a re-switcher. I lost contact with the Apple world after my Beige PowerMac G3. Now, after many years, my cool aunt gave me a Mac Mini as a birthday present. I just copied all my documents, music, pics, on a few CDs, and I was done. It was really easy :D ... or "smooth" just like you said.
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Switching was really easy for me too. I was sort of worried before I switched that I'd run into problems that I didn't anticipate. Can't say I've really had any major problems with the switch. It was definitely worth any minor annoyances due to having to find new applications, learn the new interface, etc.
  5. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    Twelve months ago mine was very smooth!
    Have since switched five mates as well... and all of theirs has gone well to!
    Only hiccup was with one mate attempting to get the AIM <-> iChat video going with a Windoz user.

So I'm still very chuffed here!
  6. Tilmitt macrumors member

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm really into games, but i found the switch easy. And i didn't just do one of those half-assed switches and still run another computer for gaming. The only obstacle to switchers is their own mind.
  7. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I dunno, I never switched. :) If the problems I have using Windows boxes are any indication, I'd say it can be quite a fundamental psychological switch. The "logic" behind how the Windows and the Mac OS X GUIs operate is different.
  8. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I re-switched. I left during the Performa years when I really couldn't justify the price of a PowerMac compared to Win95 PC as a new graduate. But my Performa was my first 'real' GUI computer.

When I switched back to OS X (and only because a friend showed me just how far the Mac OS had come and how cool the new Panther was), it was pretty easy to pick everything back up since I learned with keyboard shortcuts and 'drag and drop'. The only stuff I had trouble figuring out was the stuff I never used to do in the 'old days' that I'd only learned how to do in Windows like burning music CDs etc. I couldn't quite believe that iTunes would just do it all for me rather than me having to convert files etc.
  9. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I have... I want more and more and more Apple products! <crazed hyperventilation> :eek:

Well, that and I realized that I really am used to, and like, MS office. So I shelled out the $ for office 2004.
  10. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    It was extremly easy to switch and exciting. I'm so happy i did it. Actually it was 1 year ago yesterday.
  11. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    Switching was so easy. Nothing was dificult, and (hopefully) I will never switch back.

12. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    I totally agree with you here.

Who needs games anyway?
  13. iPollo macrumors newbie

May 6, 2005

I do!! :D

I wouldn't say that I'm a switcher, I was finally able to buy a Mac so I did... ;) I thought I would have it as a second system but I rarely have to use my PC now. I'd say I do 99% work on my Mac mini. The only things that I must use my PC for are 1. Games and 2. Burn DVDs...

I know I could have gotten the mini with the SuperDrive option, but I'd just bought my DVD burner and it's not iconvenient at all for me to turn on my PC to burn the ocassional disc. :)
  14. JonMaker macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2004
    It's been four hundred and eleven days since I made a Mac my primary machine.

I had prior experience with Mac OS X, having a machead friend and a machead Calculus prof, and a lab full of shiny new eMacs (at school, not at home).

I'd say that what made the switch easy for me are two things:
    1. I've been using Linux for about three years. This does not help because it's Linux. This helps because it's not Windows.
    2. I was mentally prepared for the switch for about a year before I took the plunge. I knew what I'd be getting into, and did extensive research.

I was originally going to get a PowerBook G3 (Pismo), but the iMac looked so sexy...
  15. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    Games take time away from reality. Macs give you more time to spend in reality. This is because you can be more productive on a Mac (compared to using Linux or Windows) for the following reasons: less steps to do the same task, no viruses, more stable, easier to use, more consistent interface, professionally made Applications (it is rare to find a poorly made Application (even freeware) for the mac but it is hard to find a good windows program), visually eye catching (makes you want to use your computer and work hard) and much, much more. Therefore games on a Mac would be a contradiction of one of my ethics which is no games period because games are a distraction from the things that really matter in life. Macs take me places. Games don't.

It is a plus that Macs aren't the ultimate gaming machine because with Macs I don't have the temptation to sway from my standards and play games.
  16. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
  17. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    I switched in August '04, because I had to. I already decided that I really wanted to get into video editing, and that only happens on a Mac, really. However, I'm glad I switched. My sister got a 333 MHz iMac with System 8.6 for her fourteenth birthday, but she never used it, and I never used it that much, either. We got an iMac for my brother a year later, and still uses it today, and we also got an iMac for my other sister a year later, simply because we knew iMacs were great machines for college. However, my sister with the newest iMac dropped her necklace down it, and basically ruined the machine, for all we knew. She got a Dell Laptop two years after she got her iMac, and that Snow machine sat in the basement for a year until I switched, where I took it into the Geek Squad, and put on Mac OS 10.1. I used that as my first Mac, but this May, I had to get more serious about my editing than iMovie 3. That's when I got my current computer, the iMac G5, and I absolutely love it.

Anyways, I try not to force PC people into switching. It comes off geeky and rude, plus, we are the ones that know the best computers around, and if more PC people started using Macs, the virus risk would climb. Therefore, I keep Macs to myself, and to people who don't care what kind of machine they're using, I pretend like I'm one of them. It does wonders do your social life! Anyways, if somebody needs a new computer, I immediately tell them, politely though, to get a Mac.

I image myself staying an iMacZealot. In the words of a fellow poster, "I won't ever switch until I die, and you pluck my one-button mouse out of my cold, dead hands!"
  18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Even upgraders have an easy time of it. I just went from an eMac to a iMac G5 20". The assistant got most if not all the programs installed without major issues so far.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.