Switching to an iMac G4 - buy the AppleCare Protection Plan?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gwalt, Jan 3, 2003.

1. gwalt macrumors newbie

I've decided to make the switch. Any opinions on whether or not I should buy the APP? I haven't used a Mac since college (many years ago), so I'm unfamiliar with their current design. Keep in mind that I'm buying an iMac becauase I'm tired of trying to fix my PC all the time. Is this thing going to break on me over the next three years?

Thanks.

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I say if you have the money, then buy it, if your low on money then maybe you should skip it, I didn't buy mine right away and I did have one issue, but luckily it was still in the timeframe of the applecare they give you so it was fixed for free. What happened was there was a power surge and my ethernet card was fried, oddly enough the cable modem was fine though, and you would think a nic card would be cheap enough but they had to replace the whole logic board so it probably would have been pricey. It's a gamble if you don't take it, you might not have any problems so it is "wasted" money, but then again......

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I had / have app with my old clam shell iBook, it is very useful for when the keyboard on the iBook goes wrong (which seems to happen quite often)

It gives you a peace of mind that you would otherwise not have. Its the best route to the perfect Apple experience :)

Ensign

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I bought a FP iMac, and the Applecare which came with it is expiring this February. Although I haven't had any problems with it, I am planning to buy the extra 2 years worth of Applecare. I just don't want to have to shoot myself on the day it breaks saying "I should have bought the extra Applecare!"... Hopefully it won't happen, but you never know. Insurancies are always about *in case* something happens. Get it just to feel safe.

irmongoose

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

It certainly works for small companys and home users but if you are in a big company (I am talking hypothetically) I would advise not considering it, the money you save allows you to purchase a spare Macintosh ready to put in if one machine starts to fail, but I can only speak from my experience.

6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

AppleCare for the iMac is $169. That's $7 a month for total protection and tech support. I think seven bucks is worth the peace of mind.

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

wait until your FREE year of service is about to run out. otherwise you get screwed out of a whole year.

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey, buy my setup that is listed in the for sale thread and I will throw in an AppleCare for free!

:)

System is 1 month old.

9. primalman macrumors 6502a

AppleCare extends to 3 years total...

No it does not. If you buy the APP at the same time as the Mac, it extends the total coverage to 3 years. Check the docs that you get upon confirmation of the APP.

10. Sparkadelic macrumors newbie

Re: AppleCare extends to 3 years total...

Other benefits: your new mac comes with 90 days of free phone support, 1 year hardware warranty. APP extends both of these to 3 years from date of purchase. APP also enables you to receive onsite service during the whole 3 years. Even if you never use the hardware warranty or onsite, given that support calls are $59 per incident after 90 days, if you make 3 calls in 3 years, your APP pays for itself. Well worth the investment.

11. Sparkadelic macrumors newbie

Re: AppleCare extends to 3 years total...

Other benefits: your new mac comes with 90 days of free phone support, 1 year hardware warranty. APP extends both of these to 3 years from date of purchase. APP also enables you to receive onsite service during the whole 3 years. Even if you never use the hardware warranty or onsite, given that support calls are $59 per incident after 90 days, if you make 3 calls in 3 years, your APP pays for itself. Well worth the investment.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Switching to an iMac G4 - buy the AppleCare Protection Plan?

i was an apple warranty tech as an intern but i also worked on compaq and dells, too

i never once had to service a mac

now i am a techie with my own business and hardware issues with macs are very rare...but i would still get the protection plan, unless i was a hard core gamer who bought a machine every six months or year

overall, the hard core gamers are the only ones i know who buy machines that often, so if you are a low end user like me doing email, internet, light graphics, etc...and plan to keep your machine 3 years...then get the protection plan

i got an ibook more than 3 years ago w/o the protection and i never had an issue with the machine, and generally, laptops are more fragile and prone to problems than a desktop...and due to being moved around, laptops are also more prone to accidents