Switching to an imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Angelus, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Angelus macrumors 6502

Hey,
    My mum is going getting a new computer and she is seriously entertaining getting a mac.she is upgrading from a pentium 166 with 128MB RAM,2GB hard drive,CD-ROM and win 95.
    The iMac i'm looking at for her is the 15" 1GHZ with a total of 512MB RAM,the rest is a stock computer.
    Do you think that this is a good buy in terms of speed(running panther and everyday apps),lifespan(hoping for about 3+years)?
    Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Publisher for Macintosh? I thought Appleworks might do the job although i've never used it.

Your advice is very much appreciated,

Angelus

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Angelus

Once she learns the OS's differences with what she is familiar, the iMac will be a fine choice, and will likely outlive it's usefulness - no dying a premature death before five years or so.

As for the software, I'm not familiar with either package, what type of software are you looking for? A word processor?

Microsoft Word is available...

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

imac is nice but emac is the best value and they are all at 1 gig. this makes for a very durable long lasting machine. max out that ram and get her some goodies like digital camera & games whatever for her. Imac is a little nicer but doesnt warrant the price difference and Mac Addict magazine had a 1 gig imac going against a 1 gig emac and the emac edge out the imac performance wise. anyways emac,imac anymac would be great for mum!

4. Angelus thread starter macrumors 6502

Publisher is like microsofts take on quark express but it only cost her £100 a few years ago so it obviously is not as sophisticated as quark

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I have to agree. The emac is fantastic value. Unless you either want a TFT screen or are really short of desk space (and you don't mind it's a little ugly) then the emac is a great deal.

6. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I think an emac would be best myself. Has anyone tried Nisus Writer Express? I think I like it a great deal. Buying the eMac and adding some nice things like, Nisus Writer Express, Dotmac, photoshop elements, Contribute, and others would be a better value. I think the thing that scares me most about buying any new computer is the additional cost of extra's you may find yourself wanting later on.

7. Brian Bosworth macrumors newbie

Brian Bosworth

emac

how much flexability do you have in upgrading an emac. for example superdrives, video cards, storage a larger processor etc.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

imac & emac dont have video cards, video cant be upgraded,drives can be,cpu not really. pretty much what you buy is what you buy except for add ons & memory.

9. the future macrumors 6502a

If you're not on a very tight budget, get the iMac. IMO the fantastic adjustable LCD absolutely justifies the higher price (compared to the eMac), especially when buying a machine that is supposed to last a long time. Plus your mum will enjoy looking at a much more attractive computer every day for years to come. That's worth a lot!

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i was debating between 15" iMac or an eMac for my mom. i would have bought the refurb 15" iMac - when available, it's $950 from apple.com.

anyway, when i went to the store to look at the 15" iMac, dunno, it just looked kinda funny. esp. next to a 17" iMac. 15" just looks very "bottom heavy." i didn't really like that... the adjustable LCD and the lightness were definite plus, but i couldn't justify spending $200+ for a refurb over a brand new eMac...

eMac's 17" screen is very nice. my mom will appreciate the variety in supported resolution too.