Switching to eMac - Some questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by josefilipe, Jun 24, 2004.

1. josefilipe macrumors member

I have my eyes set on a new computer. My computer is very old, an intel machine with more than four years of use.
    I don't have any kind of problems in switching for a mac. If I had, I wouldn't be posting in this forum :)
    My finances only allow me to invest in the eMac line and even then, in the lowest eMac.
    What I was wondering is if there is any internal difference between the two eMacs currently available.
    I know they come with different hard drives and one has a combo drive versus a SuperDrive. But I would like to know if there are any other differences regarding internal components.
    I thought in buying it through the portuguese Apple Store, as I'm portuguese, boost the RAM to 512 MB and the hard drive to 80 GB.Should I use the Apple Store to add the RAM while putting the order or should I buy it elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i don't think there's any difference except for what you've noted.

i recommend installing the RAM yourself. it's easy and takes just a few minutes.

if you need a bigger HD, i recommend BTO (custom order). it's very dangerous to open up the eMac - thermal paste could come off and the monitor CRT tube could give you potentially deadly discharge.

can you get hold of refurbs?

3. alywa macrumors 6502

Emac Advice

First, as an emac owner, I say you're making a good decision on a cost/benefit basis. The emac is big and bulky, but it's a heck of a computer for the price.

Hard Drive: Get the biggest one you can when you order it. I don't think it's easy to change out.

Memory: Unless you are planning on eventually installing 1GB, just get the basic 256MB out of the factory, and order 512MB more from crucial.com (or the like)... If you want 1GB, order 512MB from the factory, and get the other 512 from mail order. (I did the latter... I now am up to 1GB... the extra RAM was really easy to install, it only took a few minutes).

As far as the difference between the models, I don't think there is any difference other than the optical drive. If you aren't going to do video editing, the combo-drive will probably suffice. Though, it is nice to back-up to DVD (ie Itunes files, etc).

Some people complain about screen quality... I think this may have been an issue for older emacs... My screen is beautiful (the best CRT I've owned).

Good luck!

-alywa

4. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I would advise you to get a educational discount if possible or a refurbished. That will bring the price down alot ... :cool:

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree with the refurb if they are available on the Port. site. I would get the memory though crucial.com as well. I think there is a macrumors discount code for 5% off as well. Installing is easy, but be careful of static! read all the directions and print them out before starting...if you are new to adding memory.

If you are at all nervous of adding ram(you should be as it is simple, but still might be I guess) see if you know anyone who is a techie sort of person and they can problaby guide you or do it for you...most PC owners add their own memory from what I know.

Good luck and let us know what you need help with. You can also search these forums for help if you want immediate answers to your questions or issue.

6. josefilipe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the quick replies.

The portuguese online Apple Store doesn't say anything about refurbs but I could ask them. And the educational discounts are only for university students :(

7. josefilipe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the quick replies.

The portuguese online Apple Store doesn't say anything about refurbs but I could ask them. And the educational discounts are only for university students :(
    But even still, I'm going t ask Apple and I'll tell something :)

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Really? Please tell us what you know or where you heard this.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I didn't use it when I got mine about seven months ago, but I remember seeing something on Macrumors or on the macrumors forums about a discount code for 5% off...I can't find the code and maybe it was a short term thing??? Sorry I can't remember more or find anything on it right now.

10. josefilipe thread starter macrumors member

While I think about the eMac, another questions appear :)
    So, if you could bear with me, I would be very happy :D

I've heard that the eMac is a little bit noisy. Is that true?
    In building a wireless network between the eMac and the windows box, what should I use/buy, so I can share a printer between the two computers?

Thank you.

11. OziMac macrumors 6502

Well, other than the fairly soft, dull background noise of the fan, it's pretty quiet. I'm not used to computers that are silent, so that's not a big deal for me. It's certainly quieter than the fans on most of the PCs I've had.

12. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Seems like a good deal, though not 100% sure about the whole girlfriend limiting the model you can buy... maybe one day ill understand that bit, when i've had a few girlfriends hehe.

Anyway if you have to get the low end model and id boost the HD to 160GB, add BT (if theres a possibility youll ever use it) and the machine is actually looking pretty damn sweet!

Inc BT this works out at the same price as the high end model though - but then you cant add it later! But if you can live without it then its cheeper :D. As for the Superdrive it would be nice to have one but most people who have it complain that they dont use it so.

Not physically though since it just looks sooooo ugly ;) IMO.

Mark.

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Portuguese!!! Cool, well done for beating those English! (I'm Welsh :p)

Um, the eMac is a very very capable machine, good looking and inexpensive! I want two :p, except I don't have enough for a quarter of one, atm.

Go with crucial ram, if that's available. Installation into one slot should be easy enough - just view the user's guide when you get it.

In the future, upgrade options (if you are able to preform them yourself) - Bigger hard disk, more ram, airport extreme wireless card, even some 3rd party optical drive updates out there.

Buy the eMac, even the lowest model is great.

14. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

man if i were you i would just get an ibook.....
    just my opinion

add little more ram and you got your self a nice machine

15. alywa macrumors 6502

Emac Noise

Yeah, it is a little noisy compared to the other macs, but still really quiet compared to any PC i've owned.

If silence is critical to you, likely an imac would be better... however for the price differnce, a little fan noise isn't such a big deal to me.

-alywa

16. josefilipe thread starter macrumors member

If it's not noisier than the intel machines, then that's no problem.
    I'm still wondering what to buy in terms of wireless networking...
    Should i go with the Airport stuff or just buy some third party network cards?

17. kidA macrumors regular

as far as wireless goes, the airport extreme card is your only option for a wireless adapter for the emac. unless you find a USB one, but those are usually just as expensive and are external.

as for a wireless router though, you can use any wi-fi (802.11b or 802.11g) standards compliant router. i have a microsoft 802.11g router that i got for really cheap since they've been discontinued, and it works great.

18. josefilipe thread starter macrumors member

Once again, thank you for all the help.
    It will take one or two months until I can buy the eMac :(
    when the time comes, maybe I will do a thread reviewing my new "macish" experience:p

Until then, thank you for everything.

19. chv400 macrumors 6502

Doesn't the airport Express have a USB slot on it for sharing things like printers