Switching to Finder from a game

Discussion in 'Games' started by will, Sep 15, 2004.

1. will macrumors regular

Aug 29, 2002
    If I'm playing a fullscreen game like Warcraft III, how can I switch back to my finder, while leaving the game running. All the normal key combinations don't seem to work. This seems like an obvious thing to ask, but I haven't managed to find an answer.
  2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Only way with War3 is to type Command+M to switch to windowed mode. Unlike Windows you can't switch out of the app and effectively "hide" the application, but windowing it will let you get into Finder and still have the game running in a smaller window.
  3. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Just a BTW, for other games

- command + H
    - command + P
    - command + tab

may turn the game screen 1) into a window, giving you access to the desktop, 2) make the window disappear (basically hides he game), or 3) pauses, has a special pause window. If none of those work, there may be a "windowed mode" in the graphics setting.

And if none of those works, it probably doesn't support it. But most of the games that have been released in the, say, last two years should pretty much have those options standard.
  4. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    In particular, I play Age of Empires II over network and use iChat in the background to audio chat with my opponent. Since iChat is open, I will occasionally get a message. I hear the little iChat pop sound, but see no window. Not even expose seems to be able to give me control of my machine back. :(