Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Worthwords

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
London, UK
Help. I am at long last switching to mac - a superdrive powerbook. But with all the rumors about Apple switching to Intel chips i don't know what to do. Should I wait and see the Intel transition through before switching or should I buy now as the wait for software transition will be too long?

There's an old maxim: Better the devil you know.

Personally if I were in the market for a new laptop I'd buy a PowerBook now. Why wait for the Intel-based PowerBooks? Why buy v1 of anything?

You'd could be enjoying a new PowerBook right now and, should you want to when the transition is complete, you will have no trouble selling a PowerPC PowerBook either here on on eBay.

Go for it, place your order today.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
powerbook transition may not be for a while
but

seeing as changes are coming in this month, just see what comes out first.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
It depends on how long you plan on keeping it for. If you are only keeping it for a year or two, you would find it would of lost a lot of its value as Intel PowerBooks would be in high demand (hopefully) by then. But if you plan on using it until it dies, it should be fine.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
MWSF is so close now and while I think an Intel PB announcement is unlikely there, you should at least wait and see what is announced at that event.

Otherwise it's a tough call. I almost always tell people "if you need it now, buy it now - there's always something new coming." But that is a bit simplistic in this case. You're buying right at (or very near) the end of one product cycle, and thus just missing the start of another. In the case of incremental upgrades such as the last 2 or 3 PB revisions, that's not a big deal. But in this case, the Intel PBs are expected (speculation) to offer significantly better price/performance and power consumption. That also likely means a PPC PB will drop in value much more than for the last few revisions.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
Worthwords said:
Help. I am at long last switching to mac - a superdrive powerbook. But with all the rumors about Apple switching to Intel chips i don't know what to do. Should I wait and see the Intel transition through before switching or should I buy now as the wait for software transition will be too long?

Hi Worthwords,

Well, firstly, the rumours aint rumours anymore. They're true. When the transition begins, which will start in June this year, a selection of Apple products will turn into Intels. Apparently, it will work in a way of Cheap Desk/Laptops then to the higher end models. And then Apple will eventually stop making PowerPC software. Intel is your best bet. It means thinner, faster and more reliable systems. Also, Apple will start to make Intel compatible software this year. I suspect that the new iLife and iWork Suites will be Intel compatible and certainly the new Leopard OSX software. So, in three words:

----Wait, For & Intel----

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
devman said:
MWSF is so close now and while I think an Intel PB announcement is unlikely there, you should at least wait and see what is announced at that event.

Otherwise it's a tough call. I almost always tell people "if you need it now, buy it now - there's always something new coming." But that is a bit simplistic in this case. You're buying right at (or very near) the end of one product cycle, and thus just missing the start of another. In the case of incremental upgrades such as the last 2 or 3 PB revisions, that's not a big deal. But in this case, the Intel PBs are expected (speculation) to offer significantly better price/performance and power consumption. That also likely means a PPC PB will drop in value much more than for the last few revisions.

First off, congrats on your decision to make the Switch. I'd agree with the previous reply. I expect a Intel based iBook before an Intel based Powerbook but it wouldn't hurt to wait a few more days to see what Apple says about the transition and potential release dates of new Intel based systems.

My belief is that we'll see an Intel based Mac mini and that system will be the "test bed" for future Intel based Macs.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
My guess is that mac minis will come first with a single core version of some of the new low voltage intel chips, that will be follow but single core intel iBook, and by the end of this year dual core intel chips for powerbooks.

If this was true the dual core chips will be lower in price by the end of the year so Apple could keep a similar price and good profit margins, and it will fit nicely with what Steve Jobs said about starting with the intel processors from the lower end.

I think eventually the main difference between ibooks and powerbooks is going to be the single (iBook) or dual core (PB)

In anycase, I don't think you'll get the PB Intel in Jan, but in any case wait a couple of weeks and see what they come up with.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Wait for MWSF. Then decide. Personally, like stated earlier, I would not get the first generation of most products. I trust Apple and have had bought first gen from them before and have not been disappointed. This though, is a huge change for them, buy your PB before the intels are released. Sell it if the Intels get rave reviews. Keep it if it doesnt.

This is all up to you.

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
At this point, at least wait for the MWSF announcements, just to see what they are. It's so close that there's no point in not waiting.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
unfaded said:
At this point, at least wait for the MWSF announcements, just to see what they are. It's so close that there's no point in not waiting.
I agree with you 100%, it would be silly to buy something now, just wait as few days and see what happens. I was about to buy a Mac Mini on clearence at CompUSA, I snapped out of it though, it would have been a very stupid thing to do. If you can wait until Jan 9th then you should be ok, it never hurts to see what's coming out next before you make a big purchase like a computer. :D

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
i say wait also. you only have a week. if you decided to go ahead with the original pb, then the next 3 years lets say, youll be kicking yourself for making the decision you did, when you could've waited 6.5 days for.

thats my theory. but i was once in your position, held out and had it pay off.

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
Only a week until MWSF...

You'd be nuts to buy *anything* right now. There are somethings that are unlikely to see bumps, but you never know... Apple usually surprises us with something about this time of year.

Cheers

MattyP

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
San Francisco
One compromise might be...

I humbly would suggest this compromise:
go to either wegener media - http://www.wegenermedia.com or Mac of All Trades - http://www.macofalltrades.com and find an inexpensive powerbook. Wegener Media has a 1ghz 12" powerbook for $799. Load it up and trick it out, become familiar with all the ins and outs of the OS... and you will have a great computer for years to come. Then if in a couple of years you want a fast Rev 2 or 3 Mactel 'book you can get one with out feeling like you should've waited.

aaandrewww

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Another reason to wait is that the PPC powerbooks may have their prices lowered when/if the new ones come out. So then you can still avoid the first rev Intel books but save a few bucks.

Worthwords

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
London, UK
Thanks!

I waited for MWSF and it paid off. I've decided to go for the MacBook Pro that carries extra kick. I won't get it 'til February, but that is fine with me.

A convert!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.