Switching to mac. couple questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by flitcher, Oct 23, 2004.

1. flitcher macrumors newbie

OK, with the recent ibook (12") update:

1. can i hook up an external monitor now? I heard it was not possible before, but I believe it is now, right?
    2. why is the 12" ibook .3 pounds heavier and thicker than the 12" powerbook?

There were more questions, but i already forgot them by the time I got to here. :eek:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For question #1, the answer is yes. Look here.
    As far as question #2 goes, the 12.1" iBook G4 is higher, wider, and deeper than the 12" PowerBook G4, plus the iBook is really a 12.1" model whereas the PowerBook is 12". Look here and here for the details.

3. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

the powerbook screen is 12.1 inches as well. its not 12

4. flitcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but is there a reason why the ibook is bigger? Albeit its not by much, I am just curious. I think I am going to go with the ibook, but just had these couple questions.

Just read this... is it true the new ibook when hooked up to an external monitor will only support 1024x768 resolution? Only the PB can go higher?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think the differences are because of the cases, the AL on the powerbooks is thinner and lighter where as the plasic on the iBooks is thick and very durable so i think that adds to it and the weight

6. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

As far as I know, the iBook can only do mirroring when connected to an external display. Meaning, that you canNOT extend your desktop for more real-estate. It is meant to be used in situations like presentations and such in which, what's displayed on the iBook, is what's displayed externally.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Correct. The iBook doesn't support extended desktop mode for dual displays for some reason - only mirroring.

8. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

The extended desktop mode is restricted in the firmware, you can find a hack to open it up. Search the forums or google it.

9. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

There is a hack which allows for Dual Displays with different things on each display.

10. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Didn't know that, thanks for the info.