Switching to Mac...need help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by e-coli, Feb 8, 2003.

1. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Okay, so my fiance is switching to a mac (yay!), but she has been unsuccessful in migrating her email from Outlook to the Mac (she prefers Entourage). But since stupid MS crap doesn't support any type of standars like .mbox files, she has no idea how to get her email boxes onto the Mac.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 98
    Outlook 2000

anyone tried that move2mac program? It doesn't say anything about email, so I'm worried. don't want to blow $60.

thanks!

2. synthetickittie macrumors regular

I dont have my mac yet.. still on a windows computer and gonna be running into the same problem once I get it. But I do know you can save e-mail from outlook as .txt documents (file-> save as, and then just under the file type pullout click on txt). Now is there a way to get those files into a mac?

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well...

You should try the Switch-To-Mac or whatever its callled program. You can find it on apples website.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Well...

wow aztec that post helped a bunch.
    You have too many posts to spam like that man.

Software: Move2Mac

It doesn't move everything, but it helps alot. You just need to know where to place... everything.

5. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

yeah, i saw that.

but it isn't clear as to whether or not it works with email, and email folders. that's my main problem.

if anyone knows, that would be great.

6. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Isnt there an export function in outlook? From there, you should be able to import the stuff back onto the mac. I have not tried it though.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: Well...

Mrmaccman, thanks for pointing that out. It is very hard to go to apple.com, and read about it isn't it

8. Jollygods macrumors newbie

Hey folks,
    you should all check out this little program...
    It's called Outlook2Mac and you can find it here.
    http://www.littlemachines.com/
    I havn't tried it yet but it seems like it would be worth trying, since it's not very expensive. My only problem is I don't know if it supports swedish carachters... But i guess that's not an issue with you americans. ;-)

Another way of transfering your mail from Outlook 2 Entourage is by using an IMAP mail account (like .Mac), and transfer all your mail from outlook to the IMAP server and then open Entourage and connect to the same IMAP server and copy everything to a "native" Entourage folder. That way works great, but you can only transfer your mail in chunks of 15 MB since that's the .Mac mail limit...

Cheers,
    Anders/Stockholm

9. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

e-coli

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Re: Re: Well...

1. Don't be sarcastic with me.

2. People like a link. Not saying. 'I think it is here, go check it out. wait it isn't? My bad.' Whatever.

Glad you found your product.

11. jes13 macrumors member

Email

Well EColi,

I just switched myself, but I just typed up my email addresses and printed them out before I switched the computers - - - only problem was I 'forgot' to type up my friends addresses too! :(

She may find it easier to do it that way. I also just downloaded the Outlook and it LOOKS terrible - she may just want to keep the .Mac mail thingy instead that is on the 'dock'!