Switching to MAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macSwitch, Jun 29, 2005.

1. macSwitch macrumors newbie

I have been using microsoft machines for the past 8.5 years and recently have been using an old MAC at my work. (s 500 mhz 800mb of RAM G4) I have used both macs and PCs for about a year now. Unfortunately for the web world, most people use PC, which renders graphics differntly for web (tables show up wierd and somethings just don't even work on mac). But, I love the usability of a mac and how powerful and reliable it is. So, I will be switching in the near future.

I need a mac that can be powerful enough to run flash, dreamweaver, photoshop, indesign, fireworks, and illustrator at the same time, but I don't want to just get the biggest and baddest G5 unless I have too. So, I was thinking I would buy a small screened powerbook G4(the high end one) and get an apple screen to hook it up too. Do you guys think that a powerbook G4 could handle what I am doing for five years to come, or should I break down and get a dual G5 of some kind?

My experience with PC has never been bad (running a PIII 800 mhz 1.0 gb, programs above work fine...but not at the same time) but I want something that is going to last a long time, portable, and reliable. Anyway, any sugestions would be great.

Also, is there any way you can get an IBOOK with a better graphics card installed?

(my first post)

2. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I don't have any experience with PowerBooks but I know a dual G5 would get the job done. ;) Really, though I think a PB would be fine; just be sure to get as much RAM as you can afford if you want to run lots of large programs at the same time. Also, it would be cheaper to buy memory from a third party and install it yourself if you feel comfortable doing that.

I think the iBook video card comes "as is". I don't recall and option to upgrade it.

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    if you're thinking the next 5 years... personally, i think the g5 would be more suited. Drives and video cards would be upgradable. Unless you foresee going to the park to work alot. My last desktop (Powerbase 200) lasted me almost 7 years.

(and before the meaner people mention it, Mac is not an acronym and shouldn't be all capitalized ;) )

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Note that this is a browser problem, not a Mac problem. Using any modern browser, you'll be able to surf the web just as well as on a PC. :D

5. everybodylikepi macrumors member

everybodylikepi

Judging by your needs, I think the imac would be a great fit. The G5 will add to the longevity (your 5 year goal). I think G4's are on the way out. The imac isnt the bigges and baddest G5 and its a great value.

6. zach macrumors 65816

zach

such as firefox.

no, there is no way you can get an iBook with extra VRAM, unluckily. it's one of the few remaining advantages of the PowerBook.

7. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats

Congrats on your decision to make the Switch :D

8. macSwitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all of those who responded. How long do you think a powerPC G5 Dual 2.x will last in todays market????

As for those of you who posted about web design and stuff: Actually there are many things that still do not work, most of which deals with viewing windows media movies from the browser (even quick time locks up) Most of the problems stem from the fact that the work comp I use is running 10.28. Also, there are large differences even in the way safari looks compared with firefox (for instance, on the yahoo sports site, some tables are not renedered in Safari) Even the firefox's differ from PC to Mac. So in the future, I will have to have to own both windows and pc based machines :mad: For an example of how mac and pc render tables differnt, visit my website and click on an example with in it: www.olsonvisuals.com

9. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

sorry to bring this up and rain on your parade, but safari 2.0 is the only RIGHT browser out there. it is the first browser to correctly render all css and html.

Link to info at slashdot

i know, it's a pain. I do all my developing on Safari because it's just so damn nice, but it's awful getting it to work with ie. Trust me, I spent my entire day today converting code. First, it worked fine on safari but had problems with Firefox. got that fixed quickly. then opera crapped out on me. got that fixed. then came ie. WHAT A MESS. Ie has such bad css support that I had to rewrite the entire code just to get it to work.

I am reading that ie 7 is going to be a lot better, but until then we have to play with that mess.

Oh, and whoever mentioned the browser being at fault, you are mostly right but i can tell you that I have run into a few mac/pc compatibility problems with java code which was not browser related. FEw and far between though.

10. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

what do you want me to do here?

btw, you mispelled choose (Why Chose Economics for a Minor) in your about page.

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm running 10.2.8 on my old G3 and you can only run Safari 1.0 in 10.2.8
    OS X Tiger puts 10.2.8 to shame.

The problem for older macines is that the Pro software really needs a faster processor and lots of RAM.

You'll want 2GB of RAM running those Pro apps.

A properly equipped dual G5 should hold you well into 2010.

12. macSwitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it does not matter what browswer renders the right or wrong way, what matters is what are most of the users in the world using...and its obvious that a great majority uses IE and Firefox (overwhemingly IE). So the fact that safari is correct, most of the world does not give a crap. So, if you are saving time, design your website to work on PC running IE, because most people in the world will see it perfectly.

13. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

And I WANT 8 Gb of RAM, but I don't need it to run those apps. I would say you'll be fine with a Gb.

14. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

all depending on what you need/want

I would prefer a Pbook, just buy the 15" install 1GB in one slot... when you need more ram down the road... ther is still one slot available and you won't be stuck with say one piece of 512mb to try to sell when you added more ram...
    you ugrade the graphics card to the max on it... than if you're crazy enough you can even buy a 30" and connect it...
    and you can use the Pb on its own wherever you like (I miss mine... surfing in the garden... in the morning when I'm tired from working long and don't need to get up early... I could check my messages from my bed (yes sometimes I like to work until 5 in the morning just to get it done in 'one' day...))

if you don't want a portable -> look at the iMac G5 2Ghz 20"... nice machine powerfull enough...

and of course if you want to be able to change graphics cards, add more internal storage, want more than 2GB of ram etc...; go and buy a G5... you don't need the 2x2.7 the 2x2.3 will do just fine and last as long as the latter...

I allways buy one model lower than the topmodel... and spend the difference on more ram or other options...

but that's my opinion

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Your opinion seems completely logical to me and I will agree in every way. :)

16. macSwitch thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you guys on the powerbook, (I just realized that you could get a 2GB upgrade). But, how do you upgrade the video card on the 15" Is it third party or something special because according to teh apple store, there is no option.

Also, would it be smart to get a A dual G4 (the lastest one possible) And yes I mean a G4. The reason is because I am a cheap bastard. Basically, is a dual G4 (with a faster Hard Drive) faster than the IMac G5. (At work, some designers have been having problems with their New IMac G5s

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

THE 1.5 GHZ 15" POWERBOOK ONLY COMES WITH THE 64MB GRAPHICS CARD.

YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE TO THE 1.67 GHZ 15" POWERBOOK AND THEN ORDER THE OPTIONAL ...128MB GRAPHICS CARD INSTALLED BTO AT TIME OF SALE.

YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE THE GRAPHICS CARD YOURSELF 3RD PARTY.

THEY ARE PERMANENTLY SOLDERED IN PLACE BY APPLE.

18. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

PLEASE DON'T SHOUT

19. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I agree that you have to comply with the lowest common denominator, in this case IE. To say that it does not matter what browser is right is completely off base. Overall compliance is slowed by people who do not take the time to make their code comply with modern standards. This is the very reason we are in such a muck today. You may not do too much that depends on compliance, but it is always important. Table rendering is a small deal compared to greater inconsistencies in general standard compliance. Ever thought about accessability concerns? Blind and deaf people must be able to access your site just as well as anyone else. Standards exist for a reason. If you ever plan on professional development projects, never save time. Do it the right way.

This site is your friend: W3C
    Freely use the css and html validators. They are quite the tool.

20. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I may be coming off as an ass here (especially with that spelling correction earlier :eek: ) but I just am really fired up about this browser stuff and I take it seriously. I really mean nothing personal by anything I said. Or will say...

21. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

We hear you tuart. If people continue to design just for IE we will never get to where we want to be. Any guess as to whether the new IE for Longhorn will be standards compliant?

22. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

One of the best features of Mac OS X is that you have the freedom to drag
    Microsoft Internet Explorer to the TRASH! :D

If you really want the best performance for the least amount of money, and
    something reasonably future resistant,
    then a Rev B dual 2.0 G5 refurb for $1649 is your best solution.

Teamed up with a Dell 2005 FPW for around $400 and you've got a GREAT
    system for less than the price of a well equipped 15" PowerBook.

23. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

iMac g5, 2ghz , 20" with 1.25Gbs you'll be fine.

in any case unless you have 8 hands and 3 brains and are working on 3 projects at exaclty the same time you cannot really need to have all thouse apps open at the same time.

24. darkwing macrumors 65816

macSwitch,

I looked at your page. Congrats on your impending graduation! I'll have you beat by about 3 months, though. :D

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This statement makes me so ill. Enjoy your Mac.