Switching to Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dragonball05, Jul 19, 2005.

1. dragonball05 macrumors member

Jul 19, 2005
    I'm looking for a Mac notebook. I want it to be relatively light (not necessarily TOO light! since that would make it slower), and with as much RAM as possible. A fast processor and lots of hard are good too, of course, but they come second. Price is not an issue.
    Any suggestions? (if possible, please mention the model, weight, RAM, processor, and hard)
  2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    Well, I must ask you what screen size you want?

If you'd be happy with a 12-inch display, I would recommend the Powerbook 12-inch. It includes a 1.5 GHZ G4, 64MB of video memory, 80 gig hard drive, and 512MB of memory, but you can add memory yourself. If you need DVD burning, it would be $1700, if you don't need DVD burning, you can get it with a 60 gig hard drive and CD-RW drive, for $1500. Amazon.com has rebates on them, which saves another $100-$150. This is the *smallest* notebook made by Apple. 4.6 pounds.

If you need more screen real estate than the 12 inch provides, then you would consider the 15-inch. It is available in a DVD burning model, with a 1.67 GHZ G4 processor. 5.6 pounds. It is quite a bit wider than the 12-inch. The DVD burning model is $2299, while the CD only burning model with a slightly slower processor, 1.5 GHZ G4, is $1999.99.

My personal recommendation would be the Powerbook I own. The $1700 12-inch model, with Superdrive. It is a great notebook, and I appreciate it every day. I always say that even if someone offered to give me a brand-new 15 or 17 incher, I would still want the 12-inch, for it is the ideal size, for my needs. At home, I just use my external cinema display.

You can get good information and dimensions by going to: http://www.apple.com/powerbook
  3. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    -My suggestion-

15.2" PowerBook G4
    w/ 1.67MHz PowerPC G4
    ATI Radeon 9700 Mobility 128MB DDR VRAM
    2048MB DDR333 SDRAM
    80GB 5400rpm HD
    8x Superdrive.

weight- 5.6 pounds

A very, very sweet system dragonball05. Congrats on your decision to switch to Mac - my friend you have seen the light.
  4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

Wow, that sounds AWESOME. That machine is awesome! Get it !! :) :)
  5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    15" Powerbook w/Superdrive would be my suggestion as well. Great minds think alike dmw007. :rolleyes:
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Agreed Heb1228 ;)
  7. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2005
    thanks everyone! i think i have a better idea now. indeed, i wanted a 15" (but forgot to mention it :) ) and definitely with a superdrive.

a friend mentioned to me though that it's better to get the second fastest (i.e. 1.5 MHz instead of 1.67 MHz) since the premium price is not worth it. would you agree??

i'd still get as much RAM as possible, of course (since i mostly run matlab and so the more RAM there is the faster it runs).
  8. bellang macrumors member

Jun 22, 2005
    I'd go with the fast proc. in the UK, its 200 pounds extra for that model, but for that you also get the superdrive and the option to upgrade the VRAM. I, last week, ordered the 1.67 with 128VRAM (never know what the future holds...!), and downgraded to the combo drive, since i dont need a portable DVD burner as i have one in my desktop which is dual layer.
  9. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  10. iDM macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Personally I would not get the super-drive unless you plan to burn DVD's while using it as a portable. Buying an external 5.25 closure and an internal DVD burner would be faster and cheaper. That's my 2 cents.

I can not stress enough however getting
    A. A powerbook not a day goes by that I do not find it to be the sexiest(can i say that on the forum, and did i spell it right?) computer I have EVER used
    B. I also can not stress enough how happy I am that I got the 15 inch Pb I found the 12inch to be a sweet super portable machine, but not as functional for everyday desktop use UNLESS you have an Ext. monitor in which case the 12" would be perfect for portability and as a desktop stand-in.

It's just amazing the technology they fit into these machines, even someone who is a long time Pb user still has got to be amazed that they can fit UPTO 2 gigs of Ram, 128 vram, a processor, dc-unit, HDD, optical bay, firewire usb ports, logic board, wireless card, etc........... into these things, and make them around an inch thick!!!!

Edit: I just re-read, with price not an issue. Depending on if you can get an Ext. Monitor I'd go with a Maxed out 12in Pb(get the lowest amount of ram possible, and then buy max ram from like cruical.com) or a 15in without an ext display, with the 1.67ghz pro, 100gig HDD, 128 Video Ram, SuperDrive and same deal with the ram, least possible then max it out from a cheaper but well respected ram provider.