Switching to the Mac like being freed from the Matrix?

Discussion in 'Community' started by stoid, Nov 13, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I was just thinking that switching from Windows to Macintosh is in many ways like being freed from the Matrix.

"Some people are not ready to be unplugged, they are so hopelessly dependent on the system." - Morpheus

In the Matrix you are held as a slave in a stagnant environment that does not advance. You can not do anything to fight the system other than abandon it. Those who are in charge do not care about the well being of those enslaved within the system, and are only concerned with what they get out of it. The machines are obviously in control holding 95% of the human population, but they realize that the other 5% is WAY better and poses a serious threat, and so are going to do everything they can to crush even that little defenseless opposition.

Steve Jobs == Neo
    Steve Balmer == Agent Smith
    Viruses == Bad, Rogue Programs (only effect the Matrix and not the Real World)

Maybe Steve should call Redmond from a pay phone and say "I'm here to tell you how it's going to end. I'm going to hang up this phone and show these people something you don't want them to see." Then fly off with some kick-ass music playing.

Or as seen in Matrix: Revolutions, Steve should go to Redmond and cut a deal that Microsoft will promise to stop with any and all anti-competitive practices, if Steve dedicates himself to making Windows virus proof. :D

2. DillHarris macrumors member

Wow what a great freakin analogy. New apple slogan - "Welcome to the real world"

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Hmmmmm, one other example.

"The Matrix is one system on based on another, if one fails, they all fail." - the Keymaker

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I disagree, I do not think that switching to the mac is at all like being thrown into a dark depressing apocylyptic wasteland.

5. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

New x86 slogan "Welcome to the Free world"

6. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If I got freed and sent to that nasty underground "real world" to spend the rest of my life in poverty and hopelessness, I'd ask for a refund and look for the next place to plug back in.

8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

You Guys watch too manyn movies....

UPS SUCKS!

9. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, unfortunately, there is that minor inconsistancy that the real/mac world is not dirty or dank compared to the matrix/windows world. No analogy is perfect, but this was uncanny in likeness. Perhaps that could be a reason that some potential switchers are turned off to the idea though. Perhaps they see the Mac world as a dirty, dark hole in the ground that they don't want to crawl into.

A thought. ;)

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I wouldn't know because I learned computers on Macintosh. I played around with solitaire & all before, but never learned a thing about computers until I took a graphic design class. ;)

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I switched to the Mac when I accidentally walked too far down the laptop section in CompUSA and stood in front of a 233 MHz G3 Wallstreet PowerBook. I had never seen such a good looking laptop and had never seen Mac OS before, so I played around in OS 8.6 for about two minutes before I decided I wanted a PowerBook since it looked so different and refreshingly new to me. If I had stayed in the PC section, I probably would have been stuck with a 400 MHz AMD Compaq instead of the nice 400 MHz Lombard G3 that I got shortly after and I'd possibly still be on a PC.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

lucky guy... ;)

I learned on a PowerMac 7200...which is relatively "new" to a lot of old school Mac users. I didn't touch a computer, though, until I was 19 years old.

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My first computer experience was when I was around 5 or 6 and my parents got a 286 (if I remember correctly) Packard Bell. They spent a few hours trying to figure out how to get it to boot when I walked up to it and pushed the num lock key after seeing that it had a light next to it and voila, it booted up. Ever since that fateful day I got into computers and didn't mind PCs until Windows 95, which just sucked and slowly that killed the magic until I got my Mac.

14. Steradian macrumors 6502

they did have the slogan "welcome to the world" for a while guys :p

15. DillHarris macrumors member

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."

16. cesar macrumors member

Re: Switching to the Mac like being freed from the Matrix?

a good post...