Switching to Windows with Bootcamp and not rebooting

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by deason, Feb 6, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I've tried to find this everywhere. I suppose I'm not defining the question enough for Google to be of use to me.

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to switch from OS X to Windows 7 without actually rebooting my Mac. I know I can do the opposite switch (from Windows to OS X) sure there is a way to do the opposite that I am missing.

2. simsaladimbamba

You mean like this?

Just so you know, when you are booted into Windows natively (Mac OS X is NOT running), and you use the Boot Camp Control Panel to start into Mac OS X, your computer shuts down and restarts or reboots.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Something like that is exactly what I was looking for. Is this the only/best option?

I knew that the Mac was rebooting going from Windows -> OS X, but I liked being able to switch quickly via the toolbar.

4. simsaladimbamba

It seems that way, it is only taking two clicks, just like in Windows.
    There is also a script out there, which can be placed in the Dock and that would be one click.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Great! Thanks for the quick help.

6. macrumors newbie

How to switch from windows to OS X?

How to switch from windows to OS X?

7. macrumors 68030

DeltaMac

This thread was for the other direction (OS X to Windows)
    The linked app (Bootchamp) allows you to choose from the menubar to boot from OS X into Windows with a simple restart, without going through the Mac's Option-boot screen first. You don't need to do anything to get back to OS X _from_ Windows, except a simple restart - because the OS X boot partition is selected already.