Swollen console log

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Gymnut, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Okay, I noticed the damndest thing today. I have show item info turned on in the view options and I've noticed that the calculated size for my Hard drive is not always updated which doesn't bother me all too much. After doing a weekly repair of my file permissions, I noticed I only had approximately 40GB left from 115GB available. Well I knew this was just wrong since I know I do not have some 70GB in files and applications. So I search in the activity monitor and it too is showing 74GB used and so does the finder. I'll be honest I have mlmac and poisoned on my computer so I figured maybe there are invisible folders in there but both download folders contain zero kb. I start to get info on selected items in my HD and I come to find out that the Library contains 50GB. After delving in further, I find that the console log is the culprit. I try trashing it but of course it is still being used and I try deleting it via the console but I'm relegated to watching a spinning beachball, probably since it's so damn huge. A restart and a clear of all logs via Onyx and I reclaim my 50GB. Anyone else have this happen to them before and what could that console log contain that it would consume 50GBs worth of hard drive space?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i'd start checking your logs everday till you figure it out.