1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

SWTOR on 2012 Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tweaknmod, Jun 28, 2012.

1. tweaknmod, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

macrumors member

Has anyone tried out The Old Republic on the new hardware? (Windows in Bootcamp, etc)

I'm planning on trying it out when mine arrives (i7, 8GB, 500 SSD), but I was just wondering if anyone else has tried it, and how the shiny new Airs handle it.

2. macrumors 6502a

I don't believe SWTOR has a Mac version.

Regards,
    Puevlo

3. tweaknmod, Jun 28, 2012

macrumors member

I meant in windows through Bootcamp or paralells, etc.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

4. garfey, Jun 28, 2012

macrumors member

I was wondering this too - seeing at the Air can handle battlefield 3, CoD MW3, Diablo 3, and FIFA '12, I suspect it will run it ok :D Can't wait for it to arrive!

Just seen this too - Native mac support - the comments say it's due by Oct 2012.

5. macrumors newbie

I was wondering about this too.

6. macrumors 6502

SWTOR runs great on my 2010 11" 1.4/4/128, so I'd imagine it would run pretty well on the 2012 model.

7. macrumors newbie

Thanks! One more question if you dont mind.....

How big is your bootcamp partition to run swtor on your 128g ssd?

8. macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Windows 7Core i7 Bug

Keep in mind that there's a performance bug with the 2012 core i7s on Windows 7 where turbo boost mode is not working resulting in lower performance and benchmarks. Apple has already confirmed this as a bug and are already working on a fix.

9. macrumors member

Ah the reply's in tho thread are encouraging :) ... I too want to be able to do some casual gaming

10. macrumors 6502

My bootcamp partition is 45GB, but I run SWTOR on a 32GB Micro SDHC card connected with a small USB adapter. I run a lot of games on an external drive, both the micro SDHC and a regular HDD, and have never had a problem. While loading isn't as fast, it plays just as well and saves space on my internal SSD.

11. macrumors member

What kind of graphics settings are you using? Medium-ish?

12. macrumors 6502

Yeah, everything mostly on medium and running it in 720p on my 24" external monitor. I'm not sure of all my exact settings but I'd be happy to find out and also post a video sometime soon.

13. macrumors member

Could you post something of you using the macbooks own monitor? I'm betting that would have significantly better performance and that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks!