Symantec Releases PcAnywhere 12.0 for OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kelmon, May 1, 2006.

1. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

In case anyone has need for remote desktop software within a Windows environment (and VNC doesn't cut it) or needs PcAnywhere, MacUpdate is showing that Symantec have released PcAnywhere 12.0 with Mac OS X support.

Licenses seem to cost $199.99 and there's no Intel Mac support yet. Still, it's good to see another major enterprise application (for some people, at least) now offering OS X support.

2. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Finally!!
    Now all I need is Visio to get ported over, and I can give the company-supplied Dell back, and just carry my powerbook!

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

have you checked out omnigraffle? doesn't quite have the full-featuredness of visio, but it is macosx native (plus is universal) and has support for visio import/export. there's also conceptdraw as well, i haven't tried though ;(

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

5. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Thanks for the tip. I have used conceptdraw before, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I had to jump through hoops to get it to import a visio file correctly, so I gave up on it. I've seen omnigraffle (was bundled on one of my Mac's), but never used it. I just Downloaded the latest, and will give it a try. Thanks again.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Agreed. Timbukutu Pro originated on the Mac before there was a pcAnywhere. It was ported to Windows, giving Mac and Windows users the ability to remotely control each other's computers. It is still going strong. Although I belive that it is all to the good that Symantec has ported its formerly Windows-only utility to the Mac, we should support those developers who have been with us all along.

7. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

I'm all for supporting developers of Apple software, if Timbuktu would support connecting to a PC Anywhere session, I'd use it. 2 of my largest customers use PC Anywhere exclusively, so I'm stuck with it. For my personel use, I like KDX to connect to my remote machines.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How about educating your clients about possible alternatives? As for connecting to a pcAnywhere session, I would not dismiss the idea until I tested it to see if it works.

9. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Well, I'm a little fish in the pool of Trader Joe's, so I have no persuasion with them :(. I will test out Timbuktu though, I've used it before (as a trial) and liked it, but didn't have a use for it then. Now might be a different story..